PC or Mac for at- home engineering?

Security is *always* a problem -- because people (users/customers) don't want to be INCONVENIENCED. (keeping ANYTHING in The Cloud is just a problem waiting to happen -- I am surprised we haven't heard of some CORPORATE entity's cloud storage being violated)

Add to that, the fact that there is little incentive for firms to *impose* security (despite the "objections" of "inconvenienced" users) and its surprising we don't see MORE/bigger problems (no doubt because there are enough BIG TARGETS to engage hackers).

E.g., none of my work/business machines talk to the outside world. It isn't possible for them to do so even if there was a GAPING HOLE in the OS -- there are no cables connecting them to the outside world (and no wireless enabled!). So, yeah, a buffer overflow problem may cause one of my apps to crash if I type AReallyLongName. But, nothing *leaks* in the process!

But, this is "inconvenient" -- it means I have to SneakerNet anything that I want to import/export. P'feh. So what? I'll gladly take the peace of mind *and* added performance (from not having antivirus crap running all the time) over that minor inconvenience!

[Did we *really* have to TELL people "not to run as 'Administrator'"? Whose idea was it to give that level of privilege to the default user??]

"Don't reuse passwords"

Yeah. And how many of these "mixed upper/lowercase, some numerics and at least one 'special'" should I commit to memory? Note you've told me NOT to write them down, anywhere (so "memory" it will have to be!).

Designing for a *secure* environment takes an entirely different mindset. E.g., my automation system only allows certain network devices (MAC/IP) at specific network drops to send certain traffic on certain ports using certain protocols to certain other hosts, etc. I.e., you can't just "plug something in" and expect it to talk to *anything* you want to!

Reply to
Don Y

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 07:35:31 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

PC

Under Linux

Using free dev tools.

OR

Simple design stuff? a PC with DOS and Tango PCB (it will run under DOSBox or VMWare as well). Layout? The old legacy OrCAD is out there.

Both of the latter ways involve using not quite free old, out of use legacy software (DOS, Tango, OrCAD), but nobody likely cares.

The Linux, free method is truly on the up and up as it relates to paying for what you have.

The newer CAD packages generally ARE all protected still (to the greater degree) and most even "phone home".

For anything complex or signal and timing related, you need the Linux/free solution, unless you really want to pay for a real package.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 17:59:29 -0700, Don Y Gave us:

That is what backups are for. Doh!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 23:56:27 -0700, miso Gave us:

You sure about that?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 4 Sep 2014 12:53:05 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd Gave us:

The MAME emulator runs on x86 under linux or windows, but emulates nearly every CPU used in the last 40 years. It even runs on my ARM machine (MAME).

All their emulator code is open.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 17:36:51 -0700 (PDT), Bill Sloman Gave us:

It doesn't get any more stupid than "slow man" Bill Sloman.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:24:52 -0400, rickman Gave us:

2.5" form factor is lame.

Look at M.2

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

he means 8 per channel or 32 per pixel.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

logical advantage. You may find it irritating that John Fields pointed this out, but the fact that he pointed it out would make him - at worst - a ped ant, rather than a retiree trying to raise his status (which does happen to be higher than yours around here, because he does sometimes post technical answers to technical question, even if most of them do involve the NE555).

Pity about your judgement. Jamie and krw are much dumber than I am - which may be like a one legged man claiming to be more mobile than a double amput ee, but the difference - to those with even a minimum of sense - is equally obvious. You may not be able to see it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On 5 Sep 2014 22:06:00 GMT, Jasen Betts Gave us:

They (it) do(es) that as well.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 16:27:28 -0700 (PDT), Bill Sloman Gave us:

Hardly. You cannot even get page formatting down correctly, you uncivil dumbshit.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

uncivil dumbshit.

If I know that it's for you and your antique hardware, I do make the effort, but for most readers, it doesn't matter, and in fact messes up the formatting that their programs do. Your's is the stupid response.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 17:35:09 -0700 (PDT), Bill Sloman Gave us:

Absolutely not. Usenet is a TEXT forum. There is no evolution departing from that, so *you* are decidedly one of many many thousands of odd men out.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Four color?

Reply to
krw

effort, but for most readers, it doesn't matter, and in fact messes up the formatting that their programs do. Your's is the stupid response.

Whereas you are one of the few usenet participants who still care how many characters end up between carriage returns and line feeds. That makes you an even odder man, as if that wasn't already obvious.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

transparency, AKA RGBA

I don't know if it does CMYK I'm using an older version here.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

Gotcha. Thanks!

It would make more sense, though processing power is free.

Reply to
krw

to do explorations on my own dime. I do a lot of signal- processing work w ith Matlab, but also do analog and digital design and might even need to sp in some simple PC boards. Which is better for this , PC or Mac ? I don't kn ow what Mocrosoft has in store to replace win7 with something serious and n ot a toy. But I like that there's lots of nearly- free programs for PC 's a nd that seems less common for macs.

The best option would be get hold of a cheap PC, and install a good Linux distribution ( Fedora, Ubuntu etc.,) and then you would be able to run just about anything you want.

Reply to
dakupoto

It is sometimes what you are used to. A colleague of mine has a Mac laptop on which he has three OS's loaded that take just a three finger swipe to change between them.

I considered the Mac-Mini as a possible CAD-station machine but as I am already running VariCAD under Linux I decided to get the Intel NUC class of small PC's in a box. These come "barebones" and you add the memory and drive capecities you want. Everything else (graphics, sound and wifi) are already built in. This turned out to be much less of a cost than the Mac-Mini.

Having bought several NUC's I have pickd up a job that requires me to run Windows 7 in order to run some specific software (Wine wouldn't behave well enough with this package) and it was a minimal charge by the local store to put Win7 on the machine (Win 8 would have been easier but not suit the package to be run). The other NUC's will be getting the Linux Treatment.

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Paul E Bennett

Goofy, Useless Interfaces suck. :)

-- Anyone wanting to run for any political office in the US should have to have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell