MCP6441 looks kind of limited in use?

I was probing around the other day looking for low quiescent op-amps to use in a power limited circuit and stumbled on this

I noticed the GBWP is only 9Khz? It does occur to me that this limits the number of applications by a gross amount?

I think even the 741 did better in that respect!

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Gain bandwidth and power consumption are interdependent - for example charging and discharging the dominant pole capacitor requires power proportional to the frequency

Reply to
bitrex

Well, supply current is only half a microamp!

GBW/Icc is way better than a 741.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Understood..

I just find it a waste of manufacturing..

I did find one that has a GBWP of 100Khz, that is rail to rail and no more than 600 nA of quiescent.

So when I return to work next week I'll have purchasing to get me a few and throw in some pork for myself while I'm at it :)

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

I don't ask for miracles I demand them~! :)

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

741 with +/-15V supplies- 51mW typical. MCP6441 with +5V supply 2.25uW typical

You could typically run 23,000+ of the MCP6441 from the same amount of power as a single 741. That's a miracle.

RRIO.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Agreed, though the 741 isn't exactly the gold standard. ;-) Microchip makes some very nice RRIO opamps. Cheap, too. ;-)

Reply to
krw

And it would make a great micropower noise generator. That's got to be a record for opamp noise density.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Yup, we realize the old 741 is a model T, which is why I am not using such a device like that with what I have in mind. I will say that MChip does have a few interesting chips, I've always looked at them as uC (MPU) type people.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

I think they bought the linear stuff from someone else- Telcom, IIRC.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

For a good self-teaching example, see...

Op-Amp-Config.zip

on the Device Models & Subcircuits Page of my website.

If you work you way line-by-line thru the Spice model you can easily see the interaction between GBW, slew-rate, and current requirements. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature