PC Data Acquisition

datalogger...

But other than inadequate speed and inadequate memory, it looks great!

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

day. And the fact that it comes complete with cross-platform drivers and Python bindings makes it pretty seriously nifty.

LabJack comes with C bindings as well as Python. I'm currently using a U6 Pro to run a prototype spectrometer.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

They also make these nice small bench supplies, John Larkin has a few. And every time I called them some with a nice Bri'ish accent answered :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg
[...]

But IIRC you have a son who can write the C code. I don't, so I have to use the pre-cooked SCADA stuff.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I did a hack a few years ago using the sound card. I used an audio oscillator that got past into a circuit where the amplitude was biased via the signal I was monitoring, mostly less than 24 volts.

I wrote software to capture this sine wave using a basic zero crossing detection and calculate amplitude per sample division I wanted to know about. The sound card was set to 44k @ 16 bit mode.

With today's PC's, it's common to get 192k sampling rates.

The reason I did the AM coupling method is due to most sound cards blocking DC.

THis was done on an old Toshiba Pro with windows 2000.

Of course, you need to write software and build a interface.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

ttdesign.com

Tim, Can I ask how you plan to deal with the long data files?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I left out the part this being something to recommend to a customer to make measurements and send to me. So hours spent messing around with it cost $; this is a case where money up front that saves time and effort saves money in the end.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Scilab will happily slurp up multi-megabyte files and process them. If it starts having problems I can read the file in manageable-sized chunks.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

many

for

hat,

he PC

pouts

re

me

e and

ly

if

)

r day.  And the fact that it comes complete with cross-platform drivers a nd Python bindings makes it pretty seriously nifty.

Hmm, Labjack as an answer to NI. We're always getting requests, to make Labview, NI 'compatible' apparatus/ experiments. The price tag scares me... and then labview changes every three years or so.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I'm afraid it's going to be necessary to be a serious player, it's becoming a standard.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

ttdesign.com

Scilab, thanks. I think I even have that on my 'puter at work. (I only played a little.)

I can generate these long data files, I was thinking of just writing my own basic program to sort 'em.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Consider storing in chunks. There is always that chance that the computer croaks in the middle of the game and then at least you have some data. The usual, Leroy plugging in the big floor buffer machine ... tsk ... KATCHOCK ... light out.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We have used this produce before... It works well but, you have to make sure you twisted pairs because with some issues with noise, but it worked fine..

Software came it and loads in XP just fine. I used my little Acer with a short network cable.

If does sample fast and you do need to have the PC connected to it gathering data at long periods.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Grumble...

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com

Reply to
George Herold

Nah, he isn't entirely up to speed yet. This is for a spectrometer prototype--very lightweight on the back end stuff--so I'm just going write some simple console-mode thing.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We have used this produce before... It works well but, you have to make sure you twisted pairs because with some issues with noise, but it worked fine..

Software came it and loads in XP just fine. I used my little Acer with a short network cable.

If does sample fast and you do need to have the PC connected to it gathering data at long periods.

Jamie [/quote]

+1 on dataq. They used to have a $10 or $15 starter kit that did 4 channels at 8 bits up to 200hz, I've used it with their windaq software to log for a day or two at a time with no missing data that I ever noticed. The DI155 has various input ranges, 13 bits, and up to 10 kHz sampling rate. They even offer a $0.99 precision 250 ohm resistor for 4-20 mA current loop logging
for info and a link to a primer on logging 4-20 mA current loops :-)
Only downside is the base unit only does 240 hz sampling for $149, you have to pay another $195 for the "high speed" software key to unlock it to do 10 khz.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Like a resistor? :)

--

John Devereux
This might do http://www.mccdaq.com/usb-data-acquisition/USB-200-Series.aspx

   --Phil Martel
Reply to
Phil Martel

We used to do some long 8+hrs data logging tests. After some grumbling, 'they' agreed to put the whole setup on a big 1500VA UPS. It actually saved a half dozen data runs from being corrupted from power disruptions.

Martin Riddle

On a sunny day (Wed, 13 Mar 2013 18:11:17 -0500) it happened Jamie wrote in :

You can use a 4046 VCO, recod to a soundcard channel, and then display later with a frequency counter :-) In the sities I recorded slow san TV that tway, FM, on tape.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Could you do with only 10-bit resolution? The Dataq DI-194 is $60. Or the DI-155 for $150 has 13 bit resolution.

-kits.htm I've used their stuff for some 20-odd years and have always been happy with it. Interfaces to LabView if needed, or they include a simple free logger/reader program.

Reply to
lektric dan