PBS Idiots

edle to

ward, but

r.

teracts the inward

Ok, considering all this, which way does the tonearm move when it jumps the track? I have only ever seen a tonearm jump outward and replay the portion of the track it just played.

PJ claims it can also jump inwards. Perhaps he's referring to a pitiful portable picnic player instead of a turntable.

And there's a third type of tonearm aside from the two you mentioned. My turntable is a computer controlled laser-guided linear tracking device. The tonearm only pivots up and down, the tonearm is carried across the disc (I assume) by a worm gear and the cartridge is tangent to the spiral at all times. I don't know if such a device has an anti-skating mechanism, although when a scratch is encountered, it too jumps outward.

Is it possible it actually maintains the exact same radius and "going backwards" is due to the disc rotating under the fixed cartridge?

Reply to
Mensanator

ral

hich

be

asily

Hard to say, as Google Groups is useless in this regard (every one I search for takes me to the same message).

ted text -

Reply to
Mensanator

Looks pretty neat. A little overpriced.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Phil is one of those not so rare idiots that actually think that his post links are the same for everyone.

If the idiot is going to do that, then he should hunt up, and use the actual google links to a message. That way, the idiot does not have to even know that his stupid links only work for folks on his stupid ISP's servers.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Thanks for stating clearly all the stuff i used to be able to say. There have been several design for linear tracking and other compensation systems. My personal favorite is one of the laser turntables. No contact, no wear. BTW there is a very slight differential in speed of the two sides of the groove.

Reply to
JosephKK

My goodness, he's a worse hopeless case than even I expected. Of course, I'm killfiling him on the bits that he can't change, so I didn't get to see his stupidity in its full, ahem, glory.

Phil

--
I tried the Vista speech recognition by running the tutorial. I was
amazed, it was awesome, recognised every word I said. Then I said the

The concentric end grove wastes the least space on the disc. The eccentric end groove was originally used to trigger the brake on a Victrola. Perhaps 78s originally did not have a fixed-location end groove, and so had to rely on the tone arm going out to detect the end of the record (and thus stop).

--
It\'s times like these which make me glad my bank is Dial-a-Mattress
Reply to

like

the

nd

Did Victrola's stop? I thought you had to lift the arm off the disk manually.

Reply to
Mensanator

You lose.

Reply to
Ed Murphy

ah! that makes sense. thanks. (thanks all others too)

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Space is what keeps everything from happening to you.

Reply to
Don Piven

No... It is you that is defeated.

You can't even spell the word, dipshit.