Re: PBS

>This Ifill situation reminds me of my feelings for PBS... > >Until ~7 years ago I was a "PBS gold card" ($500-$1000/year) >contributor to PBS. (I know the time frame because I remember using >my "gold card" for a discount at a Sedona resort (Gawwwwd's and >McCain's country). > >Then it struck me how biased PBS (and NPR) had become.

NPR especially. A lot of their stuff is blatant hit pieces, and a lot of contempt for the people in flyover country.

>So I stopped being a contributor. Not that I'm reminded often. >_Nothing_, anymore, on PBS is worth watching ;-)

Some of it is. Some of the Mystery series (Foyle's War, Dalgliesh, Morse) was OK, even if the plots were absurd. But around here, we are barraged by Suzie Ormund, doo-wop music re-re-reruns, some inspirational speaker who paces and rants, basically a ton of cheap-or-free crap.

>Given the quality of private enterprise cable TV, I think it >appropriate to cut off PBS (and NPR) from the public teat.

I think DVD rentals and sales have killed a lot of formerly good/free stuff, Monte Python and such. Our local TV station, KQED, spent tens of megabucks on a state-of-the-art studio that they hardly use, have a staff of fat cats, and spend zip on programming.

>If Ifill betrays the public trust I suggest everyone join my >class-action suit to disband PBS. >

Not likely to succeed.

John

I liked both Dalgleish and Morse, though they're ancient re-runs now. I'm a Monk fan, and have most of his seasons on DVD.

I'm happy to announce that KAET is laying by the bucket load... even decided they don't really need a general manager ;-)

One can only hope... that's all we're going to have left after the election :-(

...Jim Thompson

The next time the Democrat Jerks whine that new drilling will
      take 10 years, remind them of the Chinese proverb:
           "Every journey starts with a first step"