Part ID- analog devices

While doing a clean up, I ran across 3 parts (hybrid/ics) made by Analog Devices part number 118A. The part is 1" x 1" x 1/2" tall. It has 7 pins, 5 along one side of the bottom and 2 along the other side of the bottom. It has a date code of 8301. Any idea what the function of this part is? Thanks, Mike

Reply to
amdx

Is there any other information on the chip (complete part number)?

Stanley

Reply to
ssylee

With that date code, it sounds like a paper weight for small pieces of paper to me. Or perhaps filler for small empty spaces in the dust bin. To others, it may be an "important" piece of history. Why not sent an email to Analog Devices and ask them? If you phrase it as idle curiosity and not a need for applications info, they very well may answer.

Cheers, Tom

Reply to
Tom Bruhns

The part has no other info, it just says: Analog Devices 118A And then a date code on the side.

Reply to
amdx

Do you have the complete part number (something before or after 118A)?

Stanley

Reply to
ssylee

I believe that _is_ the complete part number. ADI started out making modular op-amps, little boards potted into black epoxy. Some models were manufactured well into the 1980s, this sounds like one. I gave all my antique catalogs to the worldwide applications group, but their library is upstairs in my building, so I'll check when I get to work.

Steve (ADI employee)

PS Private email requires that you first remove the 3-letter food item from the posting address

Reply to
Stephan Goldstein

I'd appreciate a look, just for the fun of it! Thanks, Mike

Reply to
amdx

Standard op amp, but I'm suprised they were still making them in '83.

It shares the package of the 'computing amplifiers' originally marketed by Teledyne Philbrick. Both terms are searchable, or:

75M catalogue

118A is more common.

+/- 18V 300KHz GBP internally compensated Vio 5mV+/- 20uV/C Ib 35nA Io 3nA Iout 4mA CMRR 70dB PSRR 63dB Rin 100K

RL

Reply to
legg

I finally remembered to look this guy up today. There was a datasheet for it in the 1975 catalog, and it was listed as "still available" in the 1978 book, though with no data. It's a modular bipolar-input op-amp, with specs somewhat better than a 741. It's nothing great by today's standards, but for the early '70s it was quite a good piece of work. The single-piece price for the "A" version (-25C to 85C) was $14 in 1975.

steve

Reply to
Stephan Goldstein

In the '75 catalog, does the package info indicate that there is a location on the body for a date code marking? I don't think I've ever seen one that was date coded.

RL

Reply to
legg

I'll have to look. I have an old OEI modular amp on my desk with no date code, but I don't know ADI's practice. I worked somewhere else in the company when they were still making modules. Stay tuned...

Reply to
Stephan Goldstein

OK,I finally remembered to check the old books when the "library" was not being used as a super-secret conference room.

There's no specific mention of datecode labeling on any of the package drawings I checked in either the 1975 or 1978 catalogs, both of which still listed a variety of modular products. That doesn't mean ADI didn't mark the parts though - coding would have been needed to manage warranty returns. I don't know what the warranty period was, but I'm sure there was one.

steve

Reply to
Stephan Goldstein

I have no Philbrick samples showing datecodes or batch markings before '68 (actually Philbrick/Nexus by then), or AD datecodes on potted assemblies before '74, including binary D/A converter modules.

There are also early potted parts from Toshiba without date codes or batch markings.

Film capacitors and trim pots on the same assemblies DO have them as early as '67, so go figure.

Perhaps there were no large volume or military applications for these parts.

RL

Reply to
legg