OTC hearing aids in the US

a surprisingly common view that shows failure to grasp quite basic aspects of life.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

:

over the

n. I

your own

was

FDA gets

bout the

the new

's a

e that prescribed aids are high cost, not covered by health plans, and even less-expensive models might have enough usability and smarts (?) to learn what the person with mild-loss needs -- they really are medical devices. Th ey need prescribed by an expert IMHO. That's the reason for the high price

- long-term expert support. The training period is lengthy (not the instant gratification that most people expect). Even with audiological support, th e retention rate is already low (though maybe that's improved over the year s?). Ready access to OTC HAs or PSAs that dissatisfy may lead the wearer t o give up on audiologically-fitted HA.

mage is generally irreversible. Pickng the wrong HA could be that bad. Unli ke picking the wrong eyeglasses, the wrong arch support, etc.

ible that an "intelligent", sophisticated, hi-tech HA plus smartphone app c ould be made that carefully evaluates the user needs and programs the HAs. That kind of device wouldn't be as cheap as simple PSA (personal sound ampl ifiers) - but maybe cheaper than the full-blown audiologically-fitted pair of HAs. If these high-tech HAs exist, I'd like to see the research to see i f that had any better long-term success than human-expert fit.

Update: So yes, you can get an inexpensive PSA that has peak output limitin g (106dB). You can control it via your smartphone or tablet. It is OK for m ild- to moderate- loss wearers.

zvox.com/products/voicebud-vb20-hearing-amplifier-with-accuvoice-technology

-champagne-left

Though devices like this do require some patience to adjust. Not everyone u nderstands what multi-band EQ is and how it works. Even with helpful videos , some folks will be flummoxed.

Reply to
Rich S

Zvox limits theirs to: Full-on Gain (HFA): 28-34 dB (+/-2 dB) depending on mode See specs at the bottom of the above Zvox web page.

Note the disclaimer at the bottom the Zvox web page:

VoiceBuds are FDA registered Class One hearing aids. They are designed to help people with mild to moderate hearing loss. People with more severe hearing issues should consult an audiologist or licensed hearing aid dispenser for a full hearing evaluation.

The Android app: The reviews seem to indicate that the app needs some work. iPhone app:

The track record of the GUM (great unwashed masses) in operating complexicated devices is dismal. Few mortals can successfully program a TV, Wi-Fi router, VoIP phone, DVR, smartphone, etc. Videos, printed instructions, online instructions, software wizards, and books for complete idiots don't seem to help. At the present rate our devices are becoming more programmable, and therefore more complexicated, I predict that we'll soon be doomed to live in a world full of inoperable and uncontrollable devices. The obvious solution of having the devices program themselves is likely to cause different problems. Designing a new device to help program other devices seem like adding to the problem instead of solving it. I give up. We're all doomed.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

I would have hoped people on this forum would have understood the difference between power and power gain.

The spec relevant to RichS's point is "Peak output level: 113 dB" or rather it would be if the manufacturer understood the difference, and specified "which" dB it is.

Not a good point w.r.t. trusting the manufacturer.

I hope those that confuse power and power gain, or power and energy (kW/kWh) are indeed doomed.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Guilty as charged. I was going to cut-n-pasted both lines, but missed. I was in a hurry and screwed up.

Just "dB" is correct when referring to SPL (sound pressure level). Notice the vertical scale on the graph at: which is in dB SPL:

Sound pressure level (SPL) or acoustic pressure level is a logarithmic measure of the effective pressure of a sound relative to a reference value.

That begs the questions as to what is the reverence value:

The commonly used reference sound pressure in air is

which is often considered as the threshold of human hearing (roughly the sound of a mosquito flying 3 m away). The proper notations for sound pressure level using this

suffix notations dB SPL, dB(SPL), dBSPL, or dBSPL are very common, even if they are not accepted by the SI.

Sound. This is almost as bad a radiation measurements.

Yep. I'm doomed, but only when I'm in a hurry, such as right now.

Also, permit me apologize for not replying to your previous comments on over-the-counter hearing aids. I had a chance meeting with a genuine "Senior Licensed Hearing Aid Dispenser" on Tues. We briefly discussed some of the issues you mentioned. I've been rather busy the last few days and haven't had time to scribble a suitable reply.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I've never ever done that. Oh no, Never ever ever :)

Iff it is referring to SPL. In my limited understanding there are quite a few dB scales and references used in w.r.t. audiology.

Sound pressures is easy compared to /perceived/ sounds; the ear-brain combination is highly non-linear in whatever dimension you care to consider.

That's the reason MPEG compression can work so effectively: it discards information that the ear/brain won't perceive.

Ditto the phone speech codecs which model the vocal tract.

I'll be interested to hear their comments.

I have no concept of what that job title does and doesn't imply.

Reply to
Tom Gardner