Saw something really cool in a magazine...need some!!!

I saw something cool in a magazine, however, I didn't have a use for it at the time, but now I do, and I need some of that stuff, but can't remember where I saw it.

It was some kind of clear plastic, flexible, I think it needed a battery although I'm not sure, and, as advertised, it would create multi-colored patterns. And, it didn't strike me as having an array of LEDs, but more like a polymer, and, yes, I know there is something called "organic LED material," but that's probably too expensive. Anyway, I want to know if anyone has seen that advertisement, or has a clue as to what it was, regarding some inexpensive plastic material, like a sheet of it, that could produce multicolored effects. Multicolored, as in, more complicated than just a red, a white, and a blue LED, although, I didn't look at it long enough to say for sure. And, I wouldn't call it a fiber optic material, but definitely something like that. I think the ad showed it being used on a bicycle wheel, or at least mentioned that you could use it for that, and it could flash different colors, simultaneously, and randomly. Also, the magazines I usually read are Nuts and Volts, Circuit Cellar, or maybe a Jameco catalog, hobby/robotics, or PC related stuff, but I've retraced my steps and haven't been able to find that little advertisement again. It wasn't a full page ad, like 1/4 page or 1/8 page.

If anybody happened to see that ad, or has a clue as to what that stuff was, please let me know. I just set up an email address just for this question, and it should be active shortly, and it's -> el_roboto_loco at yahoo dot com. And, just to make doubly sure, you can also reach me as almo6914 so, please CC: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Thanks, Alan

Reply to
almo

This is probably electrochromic plastic. There were many such materials generated in the late '80s and early '90s but they really did not catch on. There were electrochromic ceramics that were made into displays that could remember what was displayed even when power was removed, and they could be made literally on a ceramic tile with no visible signs. There were also various liquid crystals stuck in plastics with conductive clear electrodes on plastic and the only drawbacks were their temperature sensitivities. There were thermochromic plastics (and still are) and some materials show the effect unintentionally. Try a scrap of red Teflon wire insulation- heat it up to about 200 C and it darkens, but not permanently. A sensitive photodevice could in theory use this as a temperature sensor. It seemed then that the paints and dyes would not be far behind, but very little of this ever made it into the market. I would really like a paint on my car that could change color on demand by the application of a small current.

Cheers!

Sir Charles W. Shults III, K. B. B. Xenotech Research

321-206-1840

"almo" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@h44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Sir Charles W. Shults III

I saw a ad / info-panel for car paint that did exactly that. It was years ago, but it could have been a mag such as popular science.

Reply to
Jeff L

"Dispatch... we lost that red Corvette..."

-- john

Reply to
John O'Flaherty

I guess it was not that real because it would make a nice display technology for huge screens. Didn't happen...

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Hi Have a look at this site

it could be what you are looking for. Alan

Reply to
Z80

"Suspect was seen leaving the scene in a bright green late-model Ford minivan..."

Which, of course, turns red under the nearest overpass. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

But that is for other reasons- the need to print the fine electrodes beneath in a grid that can be scanned, for instance. Paint on a vehicle is actually much simpler as you need only the base metal to be grounded and a clear, conductive polymer layer on the outside. For a decent display, the issues become the fine electrode pattern above, and the rotated electrode pattern below. Oh yes, and the connectors, the drivers, the control electronics, a protective outer coating...

Cheers!

Sir Charles W. Shults III, K. B. B. Xenotech Research

321-206-1840
Reply to
Sir Charles W. Shults III

thanks all.

Z80 - that "surelight" stuff might have been what I was looking for. Either way, it looks cool, so I'm going to buy some to play with. Maybe there's some use for it. And, I was thinking while driving into work today that even it can only just look cool, then I can put it inside something else that's useful, but not quite so cool, and then have something cool and useful. Some people call that "bells and whistles." Then again, there are people who will pay big bucks for "bells and whistles." In fact, if you're a model train enthusiast, if you see one bell or whistle that you ain't got, you'll want that bell or whistle. Or maybe you in the freight or rail industry, then your bells and whistles must comply with the Federal Railroad Administration. (yes, I was just doing some thinking while driving into work.)

Sir Charles - It seems, having looked at your web site, that you have a quite of bit of knowledge about a lot of things, some of which happen to be of particular interest to me at this moment, and I also notice that you're located nearby. I might just give you a call for a little chat, if that would be alright.

Alan

Sir Charles W. Shults III wrote:

Reply to
almo

Sure, Alan. I am usually in the office in the mornings by 9:30 latest. There is a voice mail box on my number below if I am not available then.