OT: World Cup

We're not big into it on "this side of the pond"

Reply to
bitrex

Probably more than you realize. Canada, Mexico and the US just got awarded the 2026 World Cup as a joint venue.

Now BASEBALL on the other hand... ;)

Reply to
Randy Day

That's good. You wont be too disappointed when you don't make it out of the groups stage.

Cursitor Doom

??? what's that

Reply to
bitrex

The US, Canada and Mexico are jointly hosting the next world cup (or the one after next; I can't recall). In recognition of this selfless act of altruism, you *automatically* qualify for entry into the groups stage without having to kick a single ball!

Cursitor Doom

best two from each of eight four team groups moves on to the finals

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Why don't we get to host it every time like the World Series and World Wrestling Entertainment? this is outrageous. other countries stealing our freedom from us

Reply to
bitrex

But not *straight* to the finals! Next comes the knockout stages.

Cursitor Doom

also called finals; 1/8 finals, quarter finals, semi finals, then the final

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Must be a Danish thing, then. I've never heard the use of the term '1/8 finals' here! Sounds really odd. Would you have 16th and 32nd finals??

Cursitor Doom

not only danish, but I think FIFA calls it "round of 16"

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

OMG, according to that there's a round of 128, too! I'm getting way too old! :)

Cursitor Doom