Not getting signal into RCA jacks on older Sears VCR

I've acquired an older Sears brand VCR. Model 934.53520650 The cassette door says LXI series. There's a silver "Digital" badge on the L side of the front.

side.JPG
side.JPG

I'm guessing it's 15 - 20 years old or so.

What I'm running into is that thought there are RCA connections for In/ Out L/R audo & Video - in addition to coax In/Out, I can't see to get it to pick up devices such as another VCR, A digital converter box, DVD player into the RCA jacks, only through the coax connector. It will output through the Out-RCA's but so far haven't gotten it to receive anything through the IN RCA's.

I've fiddled with the Std/CATV switch on the back, the VCR/TV switch on the front, nothing seems to have an effect. On newer VCR's I've had, going in to the RCA's is accomplished by selecting "Line" on the channel selector, but this old Sears doesn't have a "Line" channel, only 2 - 13.

What I want to be able to do is select between these other devices - Converter box, DVD, Other VCR via a switch and run the output through this Sears VCR to the TV so I view a/or record what's going through the VCR, which I've accomplished with newer VCR's.

The RCA in's must be there for a reason, any suggestions as to what I need to do?

Thanks for all input.

Reply to
HiC

sci.electronics.equipment is for test gear, production equipment, etc.

*-*+only-advertise+sci.electronics.equipment-Test-lab-*-*-*-*+already.available.solutions+the.rec.hierarchy+*.*.not.a.forsale.group+*-*-laboratory-*-*-*-*+zzz+Discussion

Reply to
JeffM

It's probably just one of those non-obvious things.

If it's only going from 2-13, that is sort of a tip off something isn't right. Even the oldest 1st generation machines had uhf tuners. Since it seems to use an electronic tuner (digital display) chances are it needs to be programmed in.

I remember I think it was RCA that used off channels like 97, 98 or 99 for the aux inputs.

Another possibility is the remote, there were some Zenith/GS ones that the aux inputs were only selectable on the remote (input select). If you are missing the remote, is a real possibility.

As you probably figured out, the whole Sears/LXI series was just re-badged "something else", not sure if they were loyal to one outsource or another. Seem to remember them using anything underneath, Fisher, Sanyo, RCA, Samsung.

I'll take a quick look to see if their model number crosses over to something else but this "problem" is easily solvable by a trip to the local Salvation Army or local thrift store where you could get a different machine to do what you want for probably $10 these days.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

I think I had something like that RCA VCR around 1990 and if I remember right, there were 4 cable signal settings. I remember they had letter names like "C" "I" "H" and something else which corresponded to channel ranges like 2-13, 14-26, 27-54, and 55-62 (these are just apprx.) and the VCR only went up to channel 62 or something near. It took me a while to sync it with the cable signals. Good Luck.

Reply to
Tony at the Shore

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 23:23:35 -0700 (PDT), HiC put finger to keyboard and composed:

AFAICT, LXI is a Sears house brand.

By comparing the belts at this URL, it would appear that your LXI VCR may have been manufactured by RCA/Hitachi:

Does this help?

LXI / Sears

------------------------------------------------------------------------- All Sears TVs and VCRs are manufactured by other companies (RCA, JVC, Emerson, etc.) If the following information doesn?t get you going, look for the manufacturer?s name on the back of the TV or VCR. If you?re unable to find it, Sears can let you know who the manufacturer is, as long as you have the model number handy.

Sears VCRs ? Many Sears VCRs have a button labelled ?channel lock? that needs to be turned off in order to channel up or down on the VCR.

  1. Aux or Line channel below 2 or channel 00.
  2. TU(SC)AV or INPUT button in the front panel of the TV or on remote
  3. TUNER/LINE or TUNER/AUX button in front panel or on remote

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Fair enough. Why, then, did you cross-post this to sci.electronics.repair and alt.video.vcr?

Reply to
Mike S.