Side entry of cables into TV wallplates

I've just installed a couple of TV outlets on architraves in my house. All the ones I could get from Bunnings appear to be designed for side entry of the coax, there's a clamp that holds the screen on the side of a small PCB that's secured to the plastic with a few bolted pillars. That's not a good setup when the thing is to be backed up by a brick wall with a hole through into the cavity, due to the stiffness of good quality TV coax nowadays. In fact any sort of wall thicker than about 6mm is going to have the same problem.

It does occur to me, what sort of wall structure are these actually designed for, or is it just a case of dumb design?

Reply to
Noodnik

If you use decent coax like rg6 quad you get to fit an n type hence more in line with your requirements

Reply to
atec7 7

In an external cavity wall you want a drip loop, so the wire approaches the socket from below. Remember: Gravity lasts longer than silicone sealant. Tv coax can take a bend radius of about 50mm, without damage

You don't have to mount the socket directly over the axis of the hole

So cut out a cavity behind the switchplate an drillthe hole at the bottom and slope it down towards the outside.

Jasen Betts