OT: WinXP sharing question

Whatever. I give up.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes and it is such a bother to type at the DOS prompt.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

  1. Server 2003 is exactly that. Server. There are many differences between the XP and 2003. Clustering, load balancing, Active Directory, multi processor support (more proccesors than XP), group policy management, domain hosting .... the list goes on.
  2. IF two people have logons, then one has to be admin. Admin can control who sees what. Like I said before. Right click folder, properties, sharing and security tab. Folders under 'Documents and Settings' can be accessed only by respective user and admin by default. WHen you create a new folder, it is up to you to set the permissions. If you want permissions set automatically, i would be surprised if there was not some type of security policy that could handle it. Likewise, if you wanted to ban folder creation I would be looking at security policies as well.
Reply to
The Real Andy

Dont listen to opinion, listen to fact. Each folders permissions can be set seperately. Sub folders of a shared folder a typically shared too, but once again you can set any given subfolders' permissions.

IIRC I think IIS does not give permissions to sub folders by default, but i know f*ck all about IIS.

Reply to
The Real Andy

It sounds like a problem with your dongle.

E-mail returned to sender -- insufficient voltage.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Copy it from a file explorer then paste into the CMD box.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Wrong.

It would. Just assume everything in the shared folder and below it is shared.

See "Sharing files and folders overview" in the Help file.

If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder that is stored on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

The Sharing option is not available for the Documents and Settings, Program Files, and WINDOWS system folders. In addition, you cannot share folders in other user's profiles.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Well, your confusion comes because you can not define your problem. And the answers take two different things into account:

  1. you talk about your network
  2. you talk about a single computer, where later another user is working on.

You said you wanted alfa with all subfolders to be shared, which can be achieved. So I have to guide you for each click? The folder changes appearance (hand) and shows now directly in the network neighbourhood. Even a 12-year-old should be able to do that.

Seems you have discovered XP only now, welcome aboard.

--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy

Your assumption is correct. You do not need to share C:\, root or whatever. Just share the top level subdirectory containing that which you want to share.

Using the Windows convention may have its advantages. The 'Shared Documents' name is a big red flag that says 'don't forget that others can see this stuff'. OTOH, there is nothing wrong with multiple shares on one system. Give each a logical name and they'll make more sense to other users. The question becomes: Who are these 'other users' and what are they doing with this content? Sharing works well in a small office environment where others may need write access, but the protocol doesn't scale up well. For read-only stuff on the internet, get a web server.

Yeah, but you're taking the universe out of context.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

You can do anything if you have admin rights on the PC, including sharing other users folders.

Reply to
The Real Andy

You can just share a folder, without sharing anything else. In fact latter releases of XP, will _warn_ about the securty implications, if you try to share the root directory, and will automatically block sharing of things like the Windows folder. One thing you might want to look at, is the 'shared documents' folder. This is a default 'shared' area, set up on Windows, designed to separate the act of 'sharing', from the local stuff. One reason for the 'contrary opinions', is that by default, if file sharing is enabled, Windows creates a _hidden_ relatively secure system 'share' for the root called 'C$', which does not allow general access, but is used by some system tasks.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

What about sharing via MSN Messenger?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

You mean I've *got to* use the explorer!! The only reason Windows improves productivity is because you can bring up more than one DOS prompt at a time. There are a lot of buttons on the keyboard. Why in gawds name would I need another thing to gove me three more!

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

It is what it is. Until we all move to Linux we're stuck.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Excellent points concerning folder name(s). Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks for the information concerning Server 2003! What you say in #2 is basically what i have seen on a rare occasion; good to have a fairly detailed view; thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

The simplest way is to right-click on the folder "ALFA", choose "Sharing and Security...." then choose whatever options you want. or drag the folder to your "Shared Documents" folder. ALFA and everything in it will be shared, but no other folders outside of ALFA.

Note you have a heck of a lot of options there.. sharing among users, or sharing across the internet,... plus you can set individual sharing options on each file or filter. Also note that all these options are extremely confusing unless you've read the advanced XP resource guide.

Also note that Windows security is mighty iffy-- usually you get a lot more security (like nobody can access the folder), or a lot less (anybody anywhere can).

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

'Relatively secure' is a scary concept in the Windows world. Its best to keep shared systems behind a good firewall and not allow unknown systems onto the local LAN or WiFi.

Bloody typical, they\'ve gone back to metric without telling us.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Copy the files onto a memory stick and hand them to the other guy.