OT: WinXP sharing question

Say a folder ALFA on drive C has 5 sub-folders and each folder has a number of files, and you want to share all of those files, without sharing any files in other folders (BETA, etc.). I have been getting different and contrary information (which because of the difference i am calling all of them opinions). The question is, what is the most efficent way of doing that?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I download shitloads of p*rn using this XP computer and rely on my storing it in places where even I will forget about where it is then every so often I go and stick it on a CD and stick it in a cupboard.

So, basically speaking, using XP... What you have to do if you do if you want to not share stuff is store it on your hard drive and if you want to share it you put it on a CD and stick it in a cupboard.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

There should be another file attribute bit, like "Read Only" and "Hidden" and "Archive": the "Porn" bit.

John

Win XP is not a secure system. Have you tried putting links to the files to be shared in one folder and sharing that?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Have you ever tried to right-click something? 4th option

--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy

Put those folders in the "Shared Documents" folder and allow sharing. Everthing else is hidden from other computers.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

IT is secure. You can share one single folder and all sub folders with out sharing the others. Right click on the folder, select properties and head to the sharing and security tabs.

Reply to
The Real Andy

John Larkin a écrit :

Bite would be more appropriate here.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

You are thinking *nix. Under Winblows, the "shortcut" is all you have. They are a weak link. They specify the path of the real file which must be accessed. They don't act like real files as under *nix.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Make that "Public" or "SharedDocuments" and I'd be happier. Directory names with spaces in them are bothersome.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

"Shared Documents" is the default folder name on XP. The folder exists in a standard install of XP, and it is what it looks for on other computers on the network.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Geez, you guys waste disk space storing p*rn? Haven't you ever heard of news:alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.* ?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich, but drunk

If it's so great, what the hell is Windows Server 2003 about?

If it's so secure, what happens when two or more people have accounts on a single PC?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Have not tried anything yet..trying to find out what is the proper or preferred method. The idea of sharing the folder is OK, but are the contents of all subfolders then also automatically shared?

Reply to
Robert Baer

That is exactly what i thought, but i have been getting "opinions" that include "one must also share the drive / root". I think that would result in *everything* being shared, and so contrary to what was desired.

Reply to
Robert Baer

...then "properties" then ... Too bad you left a lot to the imagination and said nothing about subfolders being shared...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Seems a little unwieldy; each computer has the same-named folder and some may have this and others may have that - the result is ?what? Naturally, i do not know how all of those drive "C:\\"s look like either...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Better being rich but drunk than drunk but rich?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Excelent questions; (1) do they relate to my question, and (2) have any answers to mine or yours?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Try it, It does work. You open "My Network Places", then "Entire Network", "Microsoft Windows Network" followed by whatever you name your network. It lists the "Shared Documents" folders by the computer's description and name.

I currently have three XP computers on the network, along with a Windows 2000 and a Windows ME system. Only one computer is password protected, because the folder is full of utility software that can trash a computer, if you don't know how to use it. When I am repairing a computer I just log in and download the programs I need. Most of the time this is done with a US Robotics USB wireless network adapter

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida