OT: Windows desktop icons

Is there a way to force the Windows desktop icons to stay put, no matter what? My situation: I have several icons on the desktop. And, I have (at least) one program that requires me to switch the screen resolution so that it runs properly. If I forget to switch back to my usual screen resolution, then the next time I fire up the PC, all the icons get rearranged.

I couldn't find a Windows command for this, but surely somebody has "fixed" this by now....?? It is a PITA to rearrange all the icons to match my workflow for various tasks. Not to mention, I don't feel like scanning 40-50 icons to find what I want. I want each icon to be exactly where I placed it. (Regardless of Windows' "assistance"), and I use that term loosely!!

Thanks!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Update: Windows XP-3 Desktop cleanup is turned off.

Reply to
mpm

There is, but I can't remember whether it is in TweakUI, or a registry 'hack'.

It may be one of the options in Folder Options in the control panel.

Of course, all bets are off if you are using Vista.

Reply to
PeterD

There is a utility that works with XP at

It won't guarantee that the icons will never move, but makes it easy to restore them to your desired layout. It's a freebie, easy to use. Once installed, just right-click on My Computer and you will be presented with menu options to save your current layout or restore the last saved layout.

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Once

.

PERFECT!!!

Thanks!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

You could do like someone I work with did. It is almost April 1 so I can give you the suggestion:

Take someone's computer and do a screen capture of the desktop with no applications open. Make sure to set the screen capture to the highest res mode.

Bring up a copy of this picture in a picture viewer that can go to "full screen mode" and make it full screen.

Leave the system like that for the morning.

The icons now won't move, change color or cause any distressing things to happen when you click.

It also has been reported that this is a good way to prevent a windows system from crashing but others say it doesn't work.

Reply to
MooseFET

The other thing to do is make this the screen saver image

Reply to
Dennis

xt -

Or rotate it 180 degrees before using it as the wallpaper.

Reply to
mpm