OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

We're scraping bottom on my knowledge of construction practices. Other than falling off a tile roof, I've never build or specified one. I think the article refers to tile coatings, not the actual tile itself.

Googling for cool red tile coatings: Looks like you can get IR reflective roof tiles in any color EXCEPT red. Maybe they mean terra cotta which is kinda red and has the highest IR reflectivity? Oh wait, you can get the coating in cool red (also known as Thai Pepper):

Yep. That all makes sense. Looking at the definitions for SR and SRI, there are multiple factors (refection, absorption, emission, roof slope, etc) involved in calculating the indexes. Nothing is simple.

I found some detail on the difference between SR (solar reflectance) and SRI (solar reflectance index). (note the assumptions).

More:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I only count four distinct shapes, two squares and two rectangles. Obviously it is a matter of taste, but I find the pattern is too regular. I think it is because all the pieces are multiples of 8 inches. Maybe a tangram based floor would be more to my liking, lol

--

Rick
Reply to

252 lines of text -- please trim.

A dehumidifier contains a motor of some number of watts. So it puts electric heat into the room.

If the dehum is broken and runs all the time without removing humidity, it can really increase your electric bill.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

Culturally insensetive. Like kicking puppies.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 18:25:01 -0400, Stormin Mormon Gave us:

You have more on the ball than some folks give you credit for.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

In what culture is kicking puppies acceptable?

--

Rick
Reply to

orted bump-outs, and roof purlins resting on top of that 2nd story balcony with no vertical support for the balcony (that I can see). And is that redw ood siding and beams? Shame on you!

I can say it, but do you even know what it is? Sawn lumber structural membe rs don't buy you much span at all. Here is AWC brief on it:

AWC data and structural prescriptions form a part of the IRC, and are to be considered minimum acceptables.

Yeah, dumb location. Dumb like those people in Colorado who built on a big hill of dirt that finally washed.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Here's some more insight: you'll never be able to sell it.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I'm still working on the training issue, after 56 years :-)

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

This link is in the context of supporting a load bearing wall. I think figure 3 is more appropriate.

I don't know about that. My point was that there are always risks the question is whether they are acceptable. I think the house is fine and I would not be worried about the trees either. I mean really. Anyone who travels by car is facing a lot higher risk than either of these two concerns. But we have come to accept the risk of death by auto as just part of life just as we accept the risk of death from the many, many sources of pollution. In that case we can't point a finger and say that cancer was caused by pollutant X. We can only observe that as we increasingly pollute our environment and document the many pollutants in our bodies the rate of death and many serious diseases rises in lockstep. These are not insignificant problems. We are simply unequipped as a species to do anything about it.

--

Rick
Reply to

I was ready to say Democratic, but that would presume they have or even care about culture.

Reply to
krw

Actually, I just got back into town for vacation. It's fun laughing at all the lefties, knowing that they're not getting any (well not much) more of my taxes.

Reply to
krw

Thanks! Here is a self portrait.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
     www.lds.org
.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Usenet?

--
.
Christopher A. Young

Yes, quite nice. Do you have problems with mold/mildew because of the trees in such close proximity?

Larkin? Never. SF is too much of a dump. He's more likely to have a Google bus parked in his driveway while they pick up the illegal programmers next door. ;-)

I didn't like a slab floor of the Alabama house. Too cold on the feet. Even in the South, the slab made it cold in the Winter and I had to crank up the thermostat as the Winter went on (and the ground cooled).

Reply to
krw

uported bump-outs, and roof purlins resting on top of that 2nd story balcon y with no vertical support for the balcony (that I can see). And is that re dwood siding and beams? Shame on you!

embers don't buy you much span at all. Here is AWC brief on it:

o be considered minimum acceptables.

Maybe you have trouble with reading comprehension: the very end of the cant ilever supports the roof extension. There are loads on roofs. Suffice to sa y, just stick with building dog houses or something.

ng

st

of

big hill of dirt that finally washed.

It's a dumb location.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Did I ever try to suppress your views? Force you to be quiet? You are entitled to the opinion. I'm just giving you my opinion that it makes you look tike a totally unballanced fool.

Reply to
clare

Did you actually look at those members you are calling supports? That is decorative trim. 4x4 beam with the load in the center will break long before the joists holding it up do. The roof is also cantilevered and supports itself.

You seem to be a very sour person. Everything is "dumb" or you have to insult people to try to make a point. Can't you just converse and enjoy other's company? If not, why are you here?

--

Rick
Reply to

Next time the flat roof on the neighbour's house leaks he's building a truss roof on top of it - solve the leak and heat problems in one fell swoop. Perssonally, I would NEVER own a building with a flat roof.

Reply to
clare

exactly what I said Goodbye

Reply to