Capacitors for a ceiling fan

I have a ceiling fan, madein China, the maker is not known but the type name is KB42TB.

Only the lowest speed of 3 steps does work. I opend the switch housing.

It has three capacitors in a plastic container. Size 1" 9/16 x 1"9/16 x 3/4" ( 4cm x 4cm x 2 cm).

It has inscripts R 4.75 picofarad ; BK 2 picofarad ; B 3.5 picofarad ;AC

220/230 V ;

TV 385/560 V ; 70 Centigrades , CJ 6WS. It has a screw to fasten from underneath the cube.

The connection is as follows R 4,75 --------] BK 2 -------- ] --- P B 3,5 ---------]

Does anyone have capacitors of the given value or a ready made new or spare unit for sale. Contact snipped-for-privacy@netikka.fi.

Reply to
Matti Sinivuori

Those aren't the values. Possibly uF if they control speed.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in news:SN3Gg.14213$tP4.2544@clgrps12:

Could be misreading µ as lower case p.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

The capacitances certainly will not be picrofarads, but microfarads. If the capacitor(s) need to be replaced, motor start type capacitors should be a suitable replacement.

However, the information lacks detail as to just what the fault is. More likely it is a bad connection, or defective contacts on the speed selector switch. Check the capacitor units first, and make sure if they are ok or not.

I would guess that the highest speed would normally be with the fan directly connected to line supply (not involving the capacitors). If this is the case, then a faulty switch is a more likely source of the problem than the capacitors.

Peter Dettmann

Reply to
Peter Dettmann

Yep. Unless the fan is powered off a Tesla coil.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson