OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

Anybody else here think ceiling fans are just pointless all together?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Which direction is this usenet thread supposed to blow?

--
.
Christopher A. Young

Take her to see "America" the movie. Interesting movie.

Reply to
haiticare2011

I did!

I used to think they were just for making flies avoid the room, and kept envisioning people in a smoke filled room sitting around a table covered in green felt playing cards, etc.

But, after finally trying one, I see the advantage in 'low humidity' conditions. Makes the air 'seem' cooler and doesn't stuff the pockets of the ultities firms.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Used properly in the right location, they work. They are not a cure for all your environmental ills. One use for them it to gently move around the air in a room to keep a constant temperature and eliminate hot and cold spots. Not rvery room needs that though.

It's a tool. Use it properly.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you stand under a ceiling fan wearing a pickelhaube, I guess(tm) it might remove the point, making it pointless:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

:)

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Anyone who thinks they're pointless has never had one. They work very well and they're cheap. I'd install a few more if it weren't such a PITA.

Reply to
krw

I like her just the way she is, and I have no incentive to change her.

Precision electronic instrumentation

We really appreciate ours.

Precision electronic instrumentation

I spent a year in Germany while in the USCG. There was a bar that we frequented where the (German) owners weren't really fans of the German army. Every now and then one of them would come of the back room carrying a fancy toilet, with some beautiful artwork painted on it. Inside the toilet there was pickelhaube filled with...what else...pickles! They would walk around giving out free pickles to the patrons.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Definitely not me. Love 'em.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

e:

unsuported bump-outs, and roof purlins resting on top of that 2nd story ba lcony with no vertical support for the balcony (that I can see). And is tha t redwood siding and beams? Shame on you!

al members don't buy you much span at all. Here is AWC brief on it:

re to be considered minimum acceptables.

ink

e cantilever supports the roof extension. There are loads on roofs. Suffice to say, just stick with building dog houses or something.

ting on a horizontal beam, itself held up by four vertical columns sitting on the structurally unsound cantilevered balcony. You need to review the po wer of moment arms before you make silly declarations like a beam breaking before the cantilever. The only explanation for this house still standing i s it must be Liebermann's willpower, because it sure ain't physics. What's really dumb is that for a house this size, it wouldn't cost that much for a structural PE to mark up the glaring errors on the blueprint. Someone was asleep at the wheel to even permit this job, or the contractor deviated fro m his permit blueprint and bribed the inspector or the inspector was an idi ot or ...

W(hy)TF are the columns there if they don't support the roof? You think may be they're in tension and help the roof hold up the balcony??? Take a hike.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred
[...] 320 lines of double-spaced quoted text from the Google Monkey goes to the bit-bucket.

You know, your posts really aren't worth scrolling down for these witless one-liners. In the future, please remove all the irrelevant text when you reply to posts on Usenet. TIA.

Reply to
JW

On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 04:00:52 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

Why the f*ck have you not yet noticed or cared that your Usenet quoting is completely f***ed up, just like 99% of the shit you spew here?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I told you, decoration. Very common.

Look at the beams in the roof, 4 by something large, capable of supporting very heavy loads even when cantilevered. The supports from the beam are resting on a horizontal 4x4. That 4x4 will break long before the huge beam even thinks about bending. Good for the 4x4 since it will never feel much load.

You need to get rid of Google Groups. It really messes up replies. Oh, and what is up with your inability to reply without adding an insult?

--

Rick
Reply to

Is a toilet in Germany something different from what it is here? I can't picture carrying a toilet without some help and I don't think I would be serving pickles from one... 8-@

--

Rick
Reply to

If it is good enough for the dog to drink from, it is good enough for yhou to eat pickles from. Pass on the chocolate candy bar though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Don't you just turn it up until you get to a combination of temperature/humidity that feels comfortable?

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).
Brian Gregory

Not in this country...

Maybe you missed the part where Liebermann said those were "extensions." And even if not, cannot be cantilevered very far under load.

You're outta your f'ng mind. Do you ave any load test experience with sawn lumber at all? I have tested 4x4 to failure and the horizontal can take 80,000 ft-lb before it cracks. The amateur who put that house together is oversupporting the roof with a grossly undersupported cantilevered balcony.

You get insulted when you say really stupid things.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred