OT: Where to get local weather data including humidity?

For a decade ago, the aviation METAR reports (containing temperature and devpoint) were archived on an hourly basis for all significant airports worldwide on a FTP site, unfortunately, I have lost the URL.

Reply to
upsidedown

Wouldn't it be better to measure your local realtive humidity and then have your cooling system act on that automatically? A wet and dry temperature sensor pair should be enough information to decide - and that way if a front rolls in overnight you don't end up with a damp house.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

See if this will give you what you want:

John S

open the windows in the kitchen next to the stove when cooking is going on..

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Find a weather station that's near you on Weather Underground? -->

? Click on one and it'll provide graphs, and you can download the data as a CSV file for use in Excel or similar as well, if you so desire.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

In my parachuting days I was listening to those on shortwave, I kind of knew when they got around to our airport. Online you can get it here by keying in the four code letters of your airport:

The wee problem: They obviously stopped at KPVF on the evening of June-10 and this service uses the same data that the other NOAA service employs, the one that I was using in the past. All I get is this:

2011/06/10 18:55 KPVF 101855Z AUTO 21008KT 10SM CLR 23/13 A2999 RMK AO1

In other words, no METAR from that airport :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It leads to the closest airport data (KPVF). That data is a week old and frozen to June-10.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks. If I ever get through the ever-increasing honey-do list I might do this. Realistically in 150-200 years :-)

BTW, did you ever identify who's the electricity hog in your house?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

They appear to have stopped METAR updates on June-10 :-(

(which is why I posted)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, if I get around to it I'll do that :-)

But doing it by hand was easy. When wrapping up work for the night I looked at the graph and then before going to bed left the cooler on "cool" or flicked the switch to "vent", depending on that reading.

Controlling it via uC is a piece of cake but only in theory. Reality is you have to switch a 120V circuit that is only accessible above an open water basin, it's all outside, there is no permanent 120V outlet anywhere close outside, and so on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, but I can find a humidity graph anywhere, or any graphs.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, it is possible to subscribe to MADIS data via NOAA. That isn't nearly as convenient anymore as the good old web display was but may be the only option left, other than setting up our own hygrometer with 24h logging.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Weather Underground is a little unintuitive to navigate at times, but it's really an incredible resource.

Start here:

... type in your address, and then click on a weather station icon to get a pop-up display, and finally click on the "call sign" of the weather station (e.g., "CALJOERG1") to go to its full page of graphs and data. (You can filter the results for only those stations that include humidty data via a checkbox on the right.)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Oh yeah, indeed. Shazam! It's a clumsy navigation but works:

Thanks, Joel and John. The humidity reading seems a bit off because I get 75F in and 64F out right now, which equates to 40% while the station on Wunderground shows 53%. Reason may be that it's near the lake.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's too complicated for Joerg, he'll have all kinds of excuses for it not doing what he wants.

The wundergound page is great... I found a weather station just blocks from me! ...Jim Thompson

Have you tried

?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

This is us:

The house is for sale, if you're interested in moving... it'd probably even be plenty warm for you! We'll even throw in the chicken coop seen in the webcam photo for free, if you'd like! :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Ha1 Your "low" humidity is higher than I've ever seen in AZ except during a thunderstorm. ...Jim Thompson

Same here, except the station is near the lake and seems to show 10-15% higher humidity. But it'll show the trend alright.

You mean the station is on your property? Wow! Next to the chicken coop, are those two dog houses?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yep, that's our rooftop you see there; the background is surprisingly picturesque.

They're actually covered cat litter boxes... but they work well for broody hens too!

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner