OT: Where to find nice jeweler's screwdrivers?

Hi - I seem to have a constant need for jeweler's screwdrivers. Problem is - all I can find is the same sets that I'm sure were made in China at a cost of $.00002. I have broken the tips of more of these than I care to remember. Also - their handles are so thin that unless the screw is already loosened, you hardly have a chance of getting it off. I often will attach my vice grips to the body of the screwdriver, and then press down on the top of the body with one hand while turning the vice grips with my other. Not ideal!!!

Anyways - I got to thinking earlier today that surely I'm not the only one that has this problem. Surely - somebody has made good quality jeweler's size screwdrivers with real handles on them and tips that don't break if you look at them wrong.

Anybody know of anything like this? Sorry for being slightly off topic

- but I figured a bunch of EE guys would have good experience with this.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike

I have a set of these:

The top of catalog page 229 french made (yeah I know, but they're good screwdrivers). Haven't broken one yet. Good watchmaker screwdrivers are designed to be a bit more brittle than the screws. They are supposed to break before the screw head does. Make sure these are big enough, they are for watch repair. What do you mean by "real handles"?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

French made? Hmm I'd rather something that won't surrender to the screw... I kid I kid. So is that big set all flat head? For me I think philips head is probably more important - though I'd really like a good selection of both.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike

I'd start here

Homer J Simpson

OK - but what are the good brands to look for? I was told yesterday that Wihas are really good. Any others I should watch for?

Reply to
Mike

I don't go by brands, but German/Swiss/Austrian were always excellent and Chinese are usually only good to open paint cans.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

[snip]

Yup. I picked up a set at Lowes hardware* years ago. Expensive ($30 for

8 double ended bits), but real nice. They go down to a '000' Philips drive, 1.5 mm flat blade and T6 Torx. *probably no longer available there. They (and other outlets) seem to have a habit of offering really high quality stuff when the chain is new and then switching to crap once people get in the habit of shopping there.
A vacuum is a hell of a lot better than some of the stuff that nature
replaces it with.       -- Tennessee Williams
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.