OT What were Results of French Expedition to find Debris at US Lunar Landing Site?

A few years ago, French/US relations were very strained.

France announced an upcoming expedition to go to the moon, locate US landing site, and photographs/archive status of such historical significance.

Suddenly, French/US relations warmed, France gained all kinds of concessions, and never heard any results of their planned expedition.

Did France ever do this expedition? This event happened in my lifetime and I would like to have seen recent coverage of that site,the debris around the landing site, see how it has changed, or more likely not changed over the years, and have the site marked with present technology for anyone with a scope to be able to view, ...or was the landing on the back side?

Anyway, all you people have better search capability than I, so has anybody heard anything?

Reply to
Robert Macy

This has head nor tail, but who cares...

(1) France doesn't have and never had a project to mount a moon expedition.

(2) The 'strained' relations between the US and France were due to their (Chirac's really) refusal to get involved in war in Afghanistan. The president after Chirac, Sarkozy, was very pro-US, and *did* send French troops to Afghanistan, which eased relations considerably, but at the cost of lives and money. Oh yes, that and the threat of terrorism, which up to then did not concern France.

(3) This 'strain' was entirely the result of US elements seeking to vilify France in the eyes of US citizens. This succeeded exceedingly well. It's a perfect demonstration of how easily public opinion is manipulated.

(4) The French do not detest US nationals. Not more than other foreigners, anyway.

(5) I'm a foreigner living in France. I get along just fine.

Let me cite a notoriously vile individual whom I will not name, but who had a very clear idea of how this works:

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger."

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen

The crazy strong in this one is.

But, we've got pictures:

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Nope, most likely in some one's back yard!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie