Which anti-virus is everyone using

Ok, it is that time again. My AVG just popped up, and said it couldn't charge my credit card to renew my license (YAY!)

So, since I need to renew or change, I thought I would ping the group, and see what everyone else is using. AVG has gotten to be more and more of a hassle, taking up more and more resources on my system. When it decides to scan or update, it slows every other function on the system to a crawl.

So, anything better, or cheaper, or more reliable out there?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Mac OS 8.6

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

I like Avast, except for their recent addition of a "real-time, crowd-sourced" file reputation check, which is a PITA for (a) developers or (b) users of obscure command-line utilities. Fortunately, it's easy to turn off (Settings | Cloud Services | Reputation Services) and may even be potentially useful for mainstream users.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Harmer

Reply to
halong

border1.nntp.dca3.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca3.giganews.com!border4.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!goblin3!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!feeder.erje.net!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!mx04.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail

I had the same experience with Free AVG after using it for several years on XP. AVG updates and scans and indexing were consuming a large part of the CPU time. I switched to Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus which seems to be just as good and just as free as AVG but doesn't hog the CPU. I use Spybot and MalwareBytes for malware control. You sometimes get what you pay for.

--
Ken Fowler
Reply to

None. I run the Microsoft malware removal tool now and then, but it's never found anything. I run Spyzooka occasionally to remove snoopware.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Microsoft Security Essentials.

It handles spyware too.

Reviews at

Generally Kaspersky is the overall winner.

I was running avast, but it would take forever for it to catch up to viruses in my email. Naturally I didn't open them since the virus was so blatant. When avast finally discovered the virus attachment, it would trigger all sorts of warnings on the dangerous attachment. Really annoying. I also grew tired of the yearly contract renewal avast required.

Reply to
miso

I use AVG free. Wife and kids use limited (non-administrator) accounts on their computers. Never any problems.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Linux.

All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Do you really think $MS would report it's own software in the scan ?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

My kid highly recommends Avast. I use Ubuntu Linux, and wait in dread for the day that the @#$% virus writers decide that it'll be a lucrative target for infection.

McAfee has gotten a reputation as being a resource hog -- I still use it on the Windows virtual machine on which I do my bookkeeping -- but that's because I can start the machine, do real work, open my bookkeeping software, do real work, etc., etc.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Here? None.

Windows 7 has one integrated in already.

What? You are on Windows 95 first release? That *IS* a virus!

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Ah-Ha. Thanks Rich! I'd wondered where that bloody intrusion had suddenly come from, and how to switch it off !

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Its not a reputation its a fact! I have used McAfee for years but in the end I got rid of it because it made my system slow. If you like your system fast then stay away from Panda as well.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

One of these days I'll get tired of it, and I'll have to either switch to Avast, or start using a bookkeeping program that'll run on Linux.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

ANY AV app that performs "real time scanning" is going to mean your machine will be twice as slow. as a minimum.

The ONLY thing one can do is tell it to only use a certain percentage of the resources when running, but that is for scanning, NOT the real time stupidity.

It works well with a multi-CPU or a multi-core machine (relatively speaking). Anything else becomes a pure dog.

My iPad Rules! I got a few engineering apps for it.

Now, I can tell a manufacturing engineer what the proper torque setting is for a fastener. Even nylon!

Better still is the Wolfram application! Way better than google could ever be! And great on the iPad too!

Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Why not simply DISCONNECT while you are doing your books?

For that matter, DISCONNECT whenever you do not intend on using the Internet.

The term (Internet) does have a very specific meaning, after all.

Or use dial-up

The only one that can hack you on a dial up is the provider you are dialed up to. THEY can hack you locally then.

Then, if you get a virus, it is pretty assured that it was something YOU clicked on, not an external hack coming your way.

Also, getting a virus on a dial-up machine means the person trying to remotely connect to you is gonna give up real quick (in the case of that type of virus, which most are these days).

Still. TCP/IP Hardware level IP encryption will arrive soon enough.

Right about the time quantum computer stuff gets started up and delivers uncrackable crypto to the mil boys, the IP encryption stuff they currently use will end up in our channels.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Viruses don't attack in real time. He goes offline to do the books, then goes online and gets a virus. Seems to me going offline didn't do a damn thing.

Dial up? You seriously think that will make a difference? You go online with dial up, and then the virus can call out.

And you wonder why you are called "always wrong."

Reply to
miso

MSE is a download. Free if you have Win7. It is not built in.

The can't build it in because some PCs are bundled with crapware like Symantec, etc.

Reply to
miso

Yep, and has been fer 20 yrs. It's called Linux and it doesn't cost a cent. I started using it about 12 yrs ago, after suffering my 3rd total trashing of my Windows boxes, and haven't had a problem since. I don't even run AV software, anymore.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
"Avenge me!"  --Bill Burr