AA battery dead with debris

I have a one foot diameter clock with a AA battery. I noticed it had stopped. I looked at the back, and found white power had seeped out of battery. I don't think it's acidic, and I know the regular trash pick up will take such batteries.

What's the best way to clean up the mess to put in a new AA?

Reply to
W. eWatson

. Surprising an easy hit on Google.

Reply to
W. eWatson

I would think that the "white power" that he found should be replaced back in the battery once the leak if fixed. :-)

Reply to
ABLE1

Damn auto correct!

Or, maybe the clock tells the time 'til the next klan meeting?

Reply to
WangoTango

Your link says to use baking soda. This link:

, however, says do NOT use baking soda because baking soda is alkaline and won't neutralize another alkaline (base). I have seen this notion a couple of times and it fits with what you learned in high school chemistry. However, baking soda is "amphoteric" which means it acts like both an acid and a base and will neutralize either

rK

Reply to
rabbitkiller