OT, What to do with textbooks. Help

It's a real shame and symptomatic of where we are headed culturally. A recent visit to a large bookstore chain proved a depressing experience. Their entire stock of technical books comprised one single vertical column of shelves about 2.5 feet wide. OTOH, the shelving for books on celebrity biographies took up about one-third of the whole store. You mentioned "people only buy novels" but I'd bet a pound to a penny they mostly buy modern trashy fiction. Probably some crappy thriller ghost-written by a pulp author and badged as written by some glamor model or soap star. The literary novel is either dead or totally out of fashion. But probably dead.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Vacuous trash has been relabelled genius. Social manipulation has been rela belled engineering. Consumer stupidity has been relabelled fashion. Clueles sness has been relabelled sense. Promotional bs has been relabelled scienti fic research. Purchases of Total Stupidity have been relabelled social mobi lity. Etc. I doubt its anything new though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In my area the used-book stores put big bins out front marked 'free'. They're a treasure trove.

We also have 'Friends of the Library' sales which accept donations, connect old books with eager customers, and benefit the library. (Somewhat ironically...)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

cal

do

el

ly

labelled engineering. Consumer stupidity has been relabelled fashion. Cluel essness has been relabelled sense. Promotional bs has been relabelled scien tific research. Purchases of Total Stupidity have been relabelled social mo bility. Etc. I doubt its anything new though.

Dang it, I /thought/ my Newspeak edition was out of date. Now, where to donate it?...

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Wow you've still got used book stores! I know of only two in my area. One "Old Editions" does mostly spendy stuff,

1st editions and copies signed by the author. The other is very trashy (which could be more up my alley) but the trash is largely romance novels.

I still remember back in grad school when the local comic / sci-fi book store sold off their entire stock of used books. I bought several boxes full at ten cents a piece... I would have bought more if I'd had more dimes.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yep, we've still got used bookstores, and they're popular! One even buys books back for half their sell-price, so you can use it like a sort of not-quite-public library.

Like John I've got databooks to dump, but leaving them alone takes nothing, and dumping them takes work! Also, a lot of those databooks had great application & design info. Easiest just to leave 'em in the dungeon.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat