Your favourite DSP textbooks/websites?

hi folks

You may have noticed that I've been struggling to explain some rather basic stuff about FIR filters to someone here. I've run out of puff, and wish to sign off by recommending some good books.

Nowadays I do less DSP design than I used to. The small amount of theory I need comes straight out of my head, and the textbooks on my bookshelf are looking pretty elderly. So I need a bit of help in recommending some introductory reading. What are your favourite up-to-date texts or URLs on DSP and digital filtering that we could recommend to our friend Fazulu? Preferably something with an FPGA implementation bias rather than software.

Courses too: Xilinx have a class on DSP implementation techniques; that might be helpful. One of my favourites was

but that seems to be dead now. Any others?

Thanks in advance for getting me off the hook :-)

--
Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

jonathan.bromley@MYCOMPANY.com
http://www.MYCOMPANY.com

Jonathan Bromley

The cost/benefit winner: Steven Smith's complete text on line:

And in commode-friendly format at Amazon:

I'm partial to Lyon's conversational style. I often wonder if my elderly grandmother, whose technical background seems to predate flint and stone, can grasp the essence simply by sleeping with this wonderful book under her pillow.

MATLAB, by The MathWorks:

Very little related reading for DSP, but a necessary tool for exploration and understanding.

For some specialized MATLAB hand holding:

Which works best with Proakis's:

... and the companion self-study guide:

Xilinx's SystemGenerator User Guide is also highly recommended reading, depending on how you plan to implement the design, of course.

Reply to
MikeWhy

The bible we use was published by Analog Devices as "Digital Signal Processing in VLSI" by Richard J. Higgins, but is is clearly not FPGA-centric. However it's a great reference for learning the algorithms.

regards, Gabor

Reply to
Gabor
[lots of bibliography]

Wow, that was quick for such a comprehensive list. Thanks.

-- Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * e * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Project Services

Doulos Ltd., 22 Market Place, Ringwood, BH24 1AW, UK snipped-for-privacy@MYCOMPANY.com

The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.

Reply to
Jonathan Bromley

Seconded, I'm always reclaiming my copy from colleagues!

And, for later on, he edited "Streamlining Digital Signal Processing", which is full of practical nuggets.

And lurk of news:comp.dsp !

Cheers, Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
http://www.conekt.net/electronics.html

Here is another one. It's called "Digital Signal Processing with Field Programmable Gate Arrays". Guess about the content :) I found the link at the Page of Ray Andraka.

Regards,

Maik H.
insert_my_first_name_here@elektronensturm.de
Reply to
Maik H.

Hi Jonathan, There are some free ones listed here...

HTH., Syms.

p.s. The books I learnt from include:-

Crochiere and Rabiner 1983 Crochiere, R., and L. R. Rabiner. 1983. Multirate Digital Signal Processing. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, Inc.

Rabiner and Gold 1975 Rabiner, L. R., and B. Gold. 1975. Theory and Application of Digital Signal Processing. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, Inc.

Dunno if they're still in print though.

Reply to
Symon

[...]

And thanks to everyone for the excellent and helpful suggestions. Plenty there to keep _me_ busy, and I hope the querant I was talking about will benefit too.