OT: What's your weather like now? (not about AGW)

They're calling for rain rather than snow in Philadelphia, NYC, Boston, Toronto, Chicago, and even Minneapolis. They're calling for mostly snow in Denver, but snow into April is common in Denver.

Did not this storm produce snow in Flagstaff? This time of year, even in early April, it snows more than rains in Flagstaff. (weather.com says Flagstaff is getting snow showers and will get more.)

Don Klipstein

They are beginning to approach seasonable warmths. Winter was harsh and cold however.

Reply to
PeterD

--
Austin Texas:

Last week it snowed and was cold (30-40F) for a day or so, today it was
sunny and about 74F.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

When the north polar area gets 'notably warm' it is worth considering that heat was exchanged and might lead to things being on the "cool side" somewhere else.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

An unusual year in San Diego - a lot of rain, but not enough all at once to flood much, and no killer frosts all winter. The guava trees usually die back a bit over the winter, but this year they haven't lost a leaf.

Reply to
Richard Henry

(I would like to get back in February 2010 being 10th coldest month for the 48 contiguous USA states on record for this temperature index since it started with December 1978, and December 2009 tied for 12th most anomalously cold according to v. 5.3 UAH TLT.)

It does appear to me that this occurred to a very notable extent, due heavily to the Arctic Oscillation and North Atlantic Oscillation running extremely low in those recent months.

Don Klipstein

Australia:

West coast, pretty sure we broke all records for the longest run of days without any rain over summer. Average temps way up as well.

East cost, there are floods aplenty with "100 year floods" over quite a few areas. This is pretty weird for late summer. Good for replenishing aquifers though.

Reply to
Royston Vasey

Still like that in March? What was it like in January?

Reply to
pimpom

Is that San Diego, Ca? Does guava thrive naturally there or does it need some coddling? We're further south than you are and tropical fruits like the climate. I have guava, orange, jackfruit, squash, mango, banana, butterfruit, etc in my garden right next to the house and they do well without much care. Grapes and apple don't do as well though.

Reply to
pimpom

Baron wibbled on Tuesday 09 March 2010 22:37

Ha. Daughter's school closed for about 6-7 days over the 4 separate periods of snow we had this year. Boiler fine. Teachers stuck as they mostly live in other villages and the lazy arsed councils can't be bothered to grit as much as they should. Being southern England, noone has snow tyres or chains, though I'll be getting all-season winter tyres on the next refit as it was very silly not being able to drive up a 1:20 incline with 2" of snow/ice.

Yeah - and all the trains dropped dead too...

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

Nijmegen has just had a spot of cold - if sunny - weather. It snowed earlier in the week, and while most of the snow has melted, shaded areas have still got a few millimetres of snow that hasn't melted yet.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Cold in this part of the UK. I think Scotland has had it worse.

Tbe Central England Temperature is down on the 1961-1990 average.

Anomaly: January -2.4C February -1.0C March so far -2.1C

The significance of this temperature is that it is the longest temperature record going back to 1772 with daily records and 1659 with monthly records. It covers the area between Manchester London and Bristol.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

Winter here in Edinburgh really reminded me of the year we spent in Ottowa (1975), ie proper snow that was about for long enough for it to be a pain in the ar*e.

The ski resorts in the north have had really good skiing all winter, it's been very patchy for the last 15 years or so.

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart

We have clear blue skies and Arctic air over us at present with frosts down to -3C overnight and brilliant sunny days peaking to about 9C early afternoon. Spring sunshine is warm but the ground is still cold. Snowdrops and aconites are out but everything else is delayed. Frost damage to early flowering plums and peaches looks likely.

It has been much colder here midwinter in previous years, down to -12C in 2005, but not for anything like as long as the spells we have had this winter (coldest -8C). People seem to have very short memories. 2005 had a serious cold snap at the end of February/start of March.

It is always funny to see how a couple on inches of snow grinds London to a standstill and is reported as if it were a national emergency. Up north it snows most winters and there is still some snow on the N facing tops of the hills (nothing in England really counts as a mountain).

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

We pretty much get all our precipitation in a small number of winter storms, which arrive erratically. Our summer water supply is melting snowpack and whatever we can capture in reservoirs. January had a couple of big storms, as I recall. I don't know if there's any longterm trend here; it's so erratic that patterns are hard to spot. But it looks like long, hot showers will be OK this year; I get most of my best ideas in the shower.

It's snowing again!

The local idea of snowplowing is to push the bigger drifts sort of to one side of the road and pack the rest down. So you're driving on a few inches of kinda-packed snow.

John

Poway, up in the hills a bit, about 750' elevation.

I told my wife when she planted the guavas that they wouldn't survive the winter frosts, but we usually just lose a few of the higher branches and the fruit comes back strong the next year. A couple of years ago we had a deep frost that drove them back to bare stubs sticking out of the ground, but the fruit this year is as good as ever.

We also get loquats, lemons, and oranges, but the dry weather and watering cutbacks didn't help the grapes.

Reply to
Richard Henry

This year seems more like normal as opposed to the last 3 winters=20 which were warmer and drier here in the valley floor, Sacramento. Typical temps are mid 50s to low 60s for the high and low 40s to=20 mid 30s for lows. A bit of frost last Monday though. Precipitation is a guessing game though. Also typical.

Reply to
JosephKK

How much dry ice did you use each time? ;-)

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

The superintendent of schools had a policy of only closing our schools if he couldn't see out his front window for the snow. He lived on the second floor. :(

The only time they did close was one day during an ice storm, after I spent an hour making the usual 15 minute walk. I finally got to school only to be told to go home by the janitor. He wouldn't have been there, but his car had skidded out of the parking lot, and he was stranded there. Of course the reports on both radio stations said the schools were open just before I left the house. This was a few miles north of Cincinnati.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

I had someone ask me if I knew where to get snow chains, in Ocala, Fl. I gave mine away when I left the frozen north, 20+ years ago.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to