[OT] What's a good kitchen hand mixer?

Not nearly as pricey as throwing away a unit that didn't fully bake the bread. At the time, this was the only alternative.

Sounds good but this works better for two working outside the home. Set it up and leave - come home from work to the smell of fresh bread. ;-)

Reply to
krw

So far I've never seen any bread maker that can bake hot enough to our taste. It would literally have a melt-down. It's like pizza. Out of a consumer grade pizza oven it's bland, the only way to get it done like in a top notch Italian retaurant is with wood or charcoal.

But all this depends on taste. For people who like softer whiter breads a bread maker is a great tool. Just not for us.

Yeah, I sure am glad that I have my consulting office right here. When working over 20mi away from here I was never home before 7:00pm and that's just too late. Now I can briefly interrupt CAD or whatever, prep the barbie and light it. When I wrap up my work it's all ready to go.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I tried to never run it with the kneading hook out. But in low gear it is so powerful that you really had to hang on to the bowl.

"Shop style" would not go over well with SWMBO. She'd ask what would be next? A 50gal compressor and some air tools in the kitchen? :-)

Even the regular drill was. The other folks cold not believe how fast it made dough. The only thing to watch out for in my university quarters was that it was an old apartment (off campus) and it had only one circuit at 230V and 6A. So before kneading the dough with the drill you had to turn off the TV. Else I'd be running down three flights of stairs and hoping there was still one more 6A fuse insert.

I love my Milwaukee Sawzall.

Nice. But one has to live there like you do. I would not mail order used tools.

This one had all that. But only for a minute or so, then ... pop ... crackle ... POOF ... *PHUT*

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

There is a guy in Taft that works on machine tools. He usually has a lot of other tools available. Coyote Engineering, AKA: Gunner on news:rec.crafts.metalworking and he works in other parts of the state in various machine shops.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, no, no. You put the compressor in the garage and plumb the entire house with air. Makes dusting a snap. ;-)

I prefer Festool, but they don't make reciprocating saws. ...I don't think. ;-)

Mine is an old Bosch. I bought it from a contractor who was retiring. It's pretty beat up.

I bought a siding nailer off eBay. It needs some work (seals and stuff, which I have) but it was great for the one job. I'll have another in the Spring.

Reply to
krw

I had the same problem but solved it by wrapping a strap wrench around the mixing bowl, which effectively added a handle to the bowl. If you can't find one with a long enough strap to go around the bowl, try any manner of handle and a web tie down strap. I sometimes use the ratchet wrench handle from a 1/2" drive socket set and a 6" extension, with the webbing wrapped around the extension until tight. However, if industrial style cooking fails to appeal to your wife, you ask if drilling a hole in the bowl, inserting a (stainless) bolt, and attaching a wood handle, would be more culinary.

3 gallon is quite sufficient. I use mine for dusting the house. I run a hose from the downstairs shop air and blow the dust off everything in sight. Be sure to wear a dust mask. Compressed air gets behind the books and junk on the shelves and tables. It all lands on the carpet, where it is easily collected with a normal vacuum cleaner. I have a long extension pipe on my air nozzle to help with skylights and dust above the rafters. It's great for extracting spiders and bugs from their hiding places and cleaning off lamps.

Sorry, but I couldn't find any pneumatic kitchen appliances and tools, probably because of the noise produced and plumbing requirements.

Fuse? In college, I lived in a house affectionately known as "The Fire Trap". I had a thick rope tied to my bed, ready to throw out the window in the event of fire. A live test of my system finally arrived when someone overloaded the wiring. The wiring caught fire instead of the fuse blowing because someone had inserted a penny behind the antique screw type fuse. The fire was rapidly extinguished before the fire department arrived, who then entertained themselves with the spectacle I created by landing in a thorn bush.

Me too. I've thought of using mine to carve the Thanksgiving turkey, but have so far resisted the temptation. Probably cuts better than my chain saw.

Most towns have someone that fixes tools or sells used tools. The above web page has over embellished the quality and cleanliness of the tools and the establishment. It's a much bigger mess than the photos illustrate.

Mail ordering used tools is somewhat of a risk. Too many things that can go wrong. I take my chances as long as I can get parts and the price is right. No problem with Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, DeWalt, and Skil because their parts suppliers will sell to anyone, or the parts have been cloned. Big headache with Craftsman, Porter Cable, Hitachi, and anything from Harbor Freight. Some specific tools have chronic failure modes that are easily identified and fixed. Usually, all my used tool purchases need is a cleaning and occasionally some wear parts (bushings) replaced.

Incidentally, we also have a used measurement and machine tool dealer in town:

So... tear it apart, find where the wiring or heating element came loose, fix it, and you're back in business. Has appliance repair become a lost art?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I just clutched it real good.

[...]

I had an experience like that when smoke oozed out of the floor boards of my attic apartment. The only way out would have been a scary climb to the neighbor building along the front sill, 40ft above concrete walls and pavement. Turned out the neighbor below me had chucked the contents of her ash tray into the trash and one cigarette wasn't really out.

[...]

Not here but that waffle iron had so thoroughly melted down that any repair would have been almost the same as building a new iron. Almost all its guts had vaporized or spewed out in the shape of glowing debris. It was quite spectacular.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

be

hooks,

there.

Well shucks then, ask her what she has looked at so far. If she hasn't looked yet it get stickier. That hand held requirement can be a mean one. Particularly if you want it to last.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Resigned that there may not be any decent hand mixer anymore she is contemplating:

a. Waiting until a hand mixer from the good old days shows up at the thrift store.

b. Buy a stand mixer if it absolutely has to be that way. But which one? How do we know they did not switch to plastic gears where it'll break in due course? I think Kenmore offers 5 years warranty but I'd have to read all the fine print. I want that unconditional, not "pro-rated" or something.

Yesterday she was baking cookies for church and we used my old method, the Metabo electric drill. Did the job in record time. So we are absolutely not in a rush anymore because that works just like it did back in the 80's.