OT what is this sol.exe ??

This morning as I got on line. I opened all my normal internet accesses and mail servers - as I have done for years.

BUT! today the google search window, I know, I just open each day to see if there's some .gif animation or someone's historical birthday. Today the screen stayed blank and a small window [which is the same one as if I requested a download] came up asking me to save or run sol.exe from LOCALHOSTC

Then later the window did appear, so searched for sol.exe to not really find out anything.

Anybody here know how a download request I never made occurred and importantly what the heck is sol.exe?

NOTE: Internet access is through dial-up modem and purposely using an older system, Win98SE running Opera 9.6 with only 26 cookies saved for access. For Usenet groups, use eternal-september and Aioe. Again the apps were just opened, screens still blank when download message occurred.

Reply to
RobertMacy

If genuine the MS Solitaire programme, but I cannot see any good reason why you would be downloading another copy. Something is compromised you need to do an AV scan using a bootable clean DVD from another system.

Whatever you do don't let it run!

It will have an uncountable number of security holes - the only thing protecting you is that a dialup connection isn't worth compromising.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Thank you for your reply. I think you 'solved' it. I neglected to mention that while I wait for all the screens to fill in, I play solitaire. So, something to do with trying to open that applications and all that was going on overwhelmed Win98 and made it do weird things.

So could be just a, "What was that?" fleating by rather than a, "Oh my, someone has taken over my machine!"

Everything is working, so I'll just keep the full name I assigned to sol.exe as a note.

Reply to
RobertMacy