OT: What is the best pool sweep?

I have had a Hayward for years. I have a pebble-tex finish that eats the "shoes". Replace every year for about $10. Forget to do the annual maintenance and it starts eating the wings and body... much more expensive ;-)

I think you can buy new for ~$299.

It doesn't use a separate pump... it runs on suction, switched in by Jandy valves. For you to change may present a plumbing issue.

...Jim Thompson

That's the beauty of the Hayward, it randomizes direction like a kid's toy... so it doesn't get trapped for very long.

...Jim Thompson

Hello All,

Ok, I could ask this in other NGs but most of those have either been spammed to death or don't have many engineers around (the guys who know what's quality).

Our Polaris 380 is about to croak, again, and I am getting sick and tired repairing it. For a new one they want a whopping $525, minus $125 or so if you ship them the old one. So you can't use it for spare parts which are quite expensive.

Letro is pretty expensive as well. Is there any better one that can use a regular booster pump? Or one that is electrical and where you had a good experience with?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

I'd have to install an electrically operated valve for that since we like to run it on a timer, about an hour a day. But the main problem would be suction. Ours is a low pressure system that works on volume, big pipes, big filter but only 10-12 psi. So there may not be enough suction.

I got the Polaris back to work but the stupid thing creeps up the steps and gets lodged there all the time. None of the thruster adjustments can convince it not to.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I forget the name, it is shaped like -> , very expensive but I had one when the pool was built, it picked up and carted around a beach towel, now thats a powerful vacumn, too bad the dog attacked it and killed it dead. I have the Polaris 360 now and it's needs parts every few months and rebuilt about every year.

Reply to
James Douglas

Hello James,

I have also seen a dog do that but it was too late. He was a good swimmer and dove down to get it. Then, ka-crunch, gone.

Our Polaris runs a while, then something breaks. Even the chinziest piece of plastic costs an arm and a leg. The rebuild kit is now up to around $250 AFAIK. The helpful hints aren't even one page long so you end up having to solve hydro-dynamic math to try to figure what makes it crawl up walls and get stuck on a step. I'd just like to get rid of it and replace it with something more durable.

What really surprises me is that hardware stores do carry have any comparable products despite a rather lucrative market. I mean, by now most of the patents must have run out.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg