trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...

at the end of the day it will replace of 8051....whenever processor in industrial controller area; these 80x what what are totally obsolete.

the "arm" will be installed with wireless 805.11g, USB storage, web-based application to control relay , stepper motor, rocket...etc..

the home-based ( server side) will control the "arm" in remote area , remote "mine sweeper" .... , robotic ....etc.

we need learn to "arm" and gcc in order to survive.

Reply to
Mylinux

Interesting thought. However, the one time I looked at ARM, they asked us for a $1m license fee to use it in a custom IC. Goodbye ARM! Try Renesas.com , they make the best low power high spec microcontrollers (H8 and M16); ARM is probably better if you can afford it, but my line of business would use under 50,000 units a year, so ARM is not cost effective.

Reply to
Zonk

In article , Mylinux writes

No so.... but then I have seen some road maps :-)

Yes arm all over the place.

Arm yes... Gcc not entirely true.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

Sorry I must disagree 100%, I am on a project now and the whole thing plastic enclosure, circuit board, LCD, and all componenets must cost $3 or less, and it needs a MCU, should I too use an ARM?

Richard.

remote

Reply to
The Mind Factory INC

Crap, like everything else you post.

regards pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" HMHB
Reply to

Not quite. The real impact of devices like the Philips LPC21xx will be on the 16 bit space.

Key parameters are pin count, and price.

Smallest ARMs are 48 pins, and in the region of $5 - both well above the average pincount/selling price of 8 bit devices.

The same process savings that move ARM down, also move smaller devices down. Right now, 80C51 are moving comfortably sub $1 in FLASH @ 8 pins, and also adding high performance Analog. (but not for the $1 :)

There is a trend for more capable cores to replace simpler cores as process improves, but the 80C51 is not exposed much to ARM at the top end, and is feeding on the simpler cores ( PIC et al) at the sub $1 point. Thus 80C51 is growing.

Learn 80C51 _and_ ARM :)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

web-based

u mean "arm" is a crap?

Reply to
Mylinux

Model T cars are totally obsolete. Flintlock rifles are totally obsolete. Steam locomotives are totally obsolete. Millions (if not billions) of 8051 processors are sold every year. You might want to look up the meaning of the word 'obsolete'.

Interesting idea - any facts or data to back up it up?

remote

I sure wish there were small controller core modules built on the ARM that compared favorably in price to other architectures. Until there are, ARM is likely not going to make significant penetration into the industrial control marketplace. It's great for cell phones, though.

Kelly

Reply to
Kelly Hall

I say gcc yes.. arm not entirely true.

Reply to
Ian McBride

Nonsense. A huge number of applications need nowhere near the CPU power (and hence cost) of an ARM - low-end chips like 8051, PIC etc. will always be with us. Why else is Microchip now the #1 shipper of MCUs - with over 2 billion chips shipped!

Reply to
Mike Harrison

No, I mean your postings are.

pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" HMHB
Reply to
Pete Fenelon

Arm will go the way of the DoDo bird in the next couple of years. Actually, with the new smaller die sizes for the regular Intel type processors, from Intel and Via, ARM will go the way of the DoDo bird. The world will eventually switch to the Intel chips running Linux and Windows. Via's Mini-ITX and Nano-ITX and the new robotics board from Intel show the what is happening now. Everyone wants WiFi, and Bluetooth, a much bigger crop of programmers can swtich to these chips without too much trouble, plus the programming tools are a lot cheaper too. In a few years you'll need wireless internet capability for even a simple smart power switch at home. The security to keep hackers from screwing it all up will be what drives it all.

remote

Reply to
Earl Bollinger

Tell that to all the mobile phone and PDA manufactuers who are still pouring squillions into their existing ARM platforms. Not surprising, given that they shipped *hundres of millions* of ARM based processors last year, and have something like 80% of the market or more. You can get Linux for the ARM too... ARM is an IP core that can be applied to all these new wizz-bang ultra small die sizes to achieve lower power and faster speeds, that is why it is so successful. It is also why virtually every major processor maker is licensed up to use ARM cores. The only place it's going in the next couple of years is up the growth curve.

Regards Dave :)

--------------------------- (remove the "_" from my email address to reply)

Reply to
David L. Jones

My' sounds like he/she is in Marketing. Those folks don't need-no-steeenkin' facts ;-)

On the other hand, this could be an edict from the "big guy" above, dictating "thou shalt" use ARMs everywhere.

--
Dan Henry
Reply to

In article , The Mind Factory INC writes

Aha! An actual engineer amongst the opinionated students and other hoi polloi! Sadly, actual experience counts for little as you are doubtless too busy to write endless drivel here, whereas Those Who Know Without Doing have all the time in the world. Strangely.

Reply to
Zedebee

I cannot go with this. As someone wrote "the embedded market is very deep" ... The only thing you can forecast for the future is that the future is not as projected now. Maybe in ten years Win will run on a desktop ARM in every household? Imagine the power savings...

- Henry

Earl Bollinger schrieb in Nachricht ...

Reply to
Henry

In article , Ian McBride writes

Arm is getting very widely used in most areas of embedded work.

gcc is not up to the mark in many areas of embedded work when compared with the top end commercial compilers.

Yes, I have used gcc and spend years working with Unix as well also much smaller targets. I also know some compiler writers and GCC maintainers. Gcc is not bad but it is not that good either.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

In article , Earl Bollinger writes

Your in the wrong NG this one is for engineers. Marketing and story telling have their own NG's

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

Have you looked at Hyperstone? It looks interesting and I understand that their license fee is considerably lower. Nevertheless, the processor seems to be widely unknown, even to experienced insiders in this business.

Rob

Reply to
Robert Kaiser

much

maintainers.

Depends if you can afford the commerical compilers. Or if your boss / company is willing to buy commerical compilers.

Not all of us work for defense or other large companies.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson