Quite OT: Hayward Viper pool sweep

Hello Folks,

Sorry, this is really OT. But on home improvement NGs I couldn't get much info or opinions and the large poolforum.com site is closed for any new posters for some reason. Since you guys are a tech-savvy bunch and many of you also fix stuff other that electronics:

Is the Hayward Viper pool sweep good? Reasonable spare part pricing? It's this one:

Reason: We have a Polaris 380 which is pretty much the standard. It works. However, it needs a lot of spare parts and there seem to be some kind of hard pricing policy. Everything is IMHO quite outrageous. Heck, even the leaf bags have tripled since 1997. So I want to switch.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hi Joerge, Sorry, don't have one of those. I have a Pentair EZ Vac, but it is suction powered for my above ground. It works, with a few caveats... ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Though, as cheap as you are, maybe you should just cover the pool ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

No they've got another Hayward model and I am more puzzled than before:

If I could only find someone who has it and can tell me whether it works in a free-shape pool with built-in steps.

Not cheap, I just don't like the frequency with which it croaks. That's especially fun when you have to fix it on a winter day when temps are around 32F and the fingers turn blue. And $30+ for a leaf bag? Yikes. If they'd more or less go up with inflation, ok, but in 98 they were around $10. The "best" happens when the backup gears break. It's just one gear in there but, of course, you have to buy the whole assembly and that also means taking the whole thing apart.

BTW we do have a cover but use it only in summer, for heat retention.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

What's a leaf? Oh, yes, those things that blow off of trees once or twice a year during a major wind storm... my pool guy scoops them up OFF THE WATER SURFACE... cleaners don't get them very well.

...Jim Thompson

Well, I have a solar cover that I just finished the install for the reel on (It took a while because the cheesy clips they use to clamp to the cover don't 'clip', so I had to drill them, and add a bolt, nut and washers...) and solar pool heater, but my biggest problem is that the EZ Vac doesn't have a leaf filter, so I have to keep opening up the basket on my pump and cleaning it out. I need to get around to ordering an inline leaf filter.

But Jeorge, if you don't have the pool in service, then you really should cover it...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

California leafs are different. Only a few stay on the surface, most sink down after a very short time. Mostly small stuff.

If you have a cover the basket might actually be easier. You don't have to remove part of the cover and reach into ice cold water.

We keep it properly serviced and chlorinated all year round. Plus the foxes here have their litter in early spring and a cover is dangerous for those little ones. They can swim or be pulled to safety but not if they disappear under a cover.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Well, my water is presently at 82 degrees, so that isn't a problem. The real problem is how much water flows out of the pump while I am cleaning out the basket. It is below the level of the pool.

Yeah, for the little ones, you would need a safety cover that is secured around the edge, not just a floating cover like mine...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Oh, an above ground pool? That's a challenge. Then you'd need to install valves.

Foxes are just like little kids. When ma ain't looking they try to get into anything. If needed they'd just make a hole. Occasionally they even climb trees. Problem is, trees have a finite length. Then they look down and have that "Oh s..t!" expression on their little faces. And you can't stretch a tarp and tell them to let go.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Have you ever seen a fox skeleton in a tree? ;-)

They come down when they get hungry.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No, but the decayed body of one that must have broken a leg when it came down.

The question is what speed they'll have when at one inch above the turf.