OT what a weird place

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7346858,-122.4479701,18z

What's weird about it?

Reply to
John S

Street names, for one. Apparently the planner, back in the 1800's, had no experience and didn't like field work. He just drew some grid lines. When people starting building streets and houses on basically a mountain range, it got twisted.

I was just walking up there and noticed the intersection of Forester with Forester aka Melrose. The signage tries to help.

I wonder how google selects text directions.

I found the same thing up in Dublin, Ohio (a bit North of Columbus). I got lost a lot there even with navigation help.

Reply to
John S

Yikes, that is a tangle.

The area was hilly and mostly bare dirt and rock until maybe 1950ish. People randomly installed streets and houses where they sort of fit onto a rectangular-grid map.

There are neighborhoods around here that were built on hills in the

1800s. I can't imagine how they made streets and built houses on 20% grades using human and animal muscle power.

Here is my street ca 1953.

We have houses here that are on dirt lanes or stairways with no street access. It's wild to see six guys hauling a refrigerator or a piano up

200 rickety wooden stairs. People move stuff into their back yards with giant cranes and the occasional helicopter.

The back yards seem to have limited access. You would have to run firehoses thru the houses.

Martin Rid

No access, typically. Things go through the house or over the flat roofs. One needs a giant crane for serious garden things.

New York City is like that, but no back yards.

I had a cop ring my bell and ask if he could go through the house into my back yard, in case a perp jumped the fence from a bust nearby.

Those houses look like they are so close to each other that they could be condos or apartments on Teresita Blvd ! REALLY close together. No sound isolation for sure.

I wonder why the Google street view is shading out the place at

942 Teresita Blvd and the house 3 or 4 houses up from it ?

Something secret going on there ?

boB

Reply to
boB

In many neighborhoods, lots here are 24 feet wide and there is no gap between houses. That's efficient, as there is no heat loss along the two long sides of most houses. It's like townhouses in New York City.

I don't hear my neighbors. Well, maybe if someone throws something.

Street view is weird there. Maybe some google execs live there.

When Ed Lee was the mayor, we could see his house from here. But it wasn't on Street View.

Even Puerto Rico houses have a bit of space between them. Maybe they were laid out by the same guy.

Ricky

Yes, something like that maybe, but why attract attention by blurring it out ?

Reply to
boB

Good point. May as well say ROB ME.

fredag den 17. marts 2023 kl. 23.31.00 UTC+1 skrev boB:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Thanks. I knew there was some way of doing that.

Just makes me want to go there and look closer.

However, they might have a gun so I would definitely stay off the property and be video-ing just in case someone was a bit too protective.

boB

Reply to
boB