OT: We need a Sanity Clause...

Resource markets are flying.

Gold has soared almost $300 an ounce since October, including more than $100 in just the past six weeks.

Crude oil has more than doubled since mid-December, recently breaking above $66 a barrel.

Meanwhile, everything from corn ... to soybeans ... to wheat ... to gasoline is ramping higher.

The common thread: The broad-based Dollar Index has dropped more than

11% just since early March. It's at a 5-month low against the euro, a 6-month low against the British pound and an 8-month low against the Australian dollar. It's falling against every currency from the Brazilian real to the lowly Indonesian Rupiah.

The reason: The U.S. Treasury and Federal Reserve have decided to ignore the greenback in an all-out attempt to re-inflate the economy. They do not seem to care if that debases the value of your money, drives up the cost of buying groceries, and makes it more expensive for you to fill your tank. They think inflation is the "lesser of the evils" when compared to deflation.

So they're going hog-wild. They're printing money out of thin air. They're monetizing U.S. sovereign and mortgage debt, to the tune of up to $1.75 TRILLION. They're thumbing their noses at our foreign creditors.

Reply to
Robert Baer

And the most victimized are those loonies who voted for Obama, so go for it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Seeing Obama voters laid off gives me an orgasmic Schadenfreude

Buy real estate, before the interest rates go up.

John

Bwahahahahaha ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

He's making a list, and checking it twice. He's gonna find out, who's been naughty or nice.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Stupidity kills. But not nearly often enough.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Robert Baer wrote in news:b4ydnUDf3YLaCbnXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

"change you can BELIEVE in". "Yes,we can".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Why not, the "The Two Santa Claus Theory" was a republican invention so the democrats can use one of their own

Reply to
MooseFET

That'll make you a landlord, with all the repercussions and work load, plus a dose of worries about if and when the left will succeed in poking a hole into Prop 13.

How about REIT-type investments? Could become more interesting although it's tough to distinguish between the super-leveraged fluff and the real deals. I guess with the split roll talk re Prop 13 it may be best to concentrate of real estate outside CA, at least when it's commercial.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yesterday Tim Geithner told a group of Chinese students they needn't worry about the security of their American investments.

They laughed.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

James Arthur wrote in news:4udVl.2359$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

I just read on FoxNews that China may be buying Hummer. I wonder if they will be supplying HUMVEEs to the US military,or if we will be seeing Chinese military HUMVEES as part of THEIR army?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I think the Humvee is history, there is a new personal carrier that?s much better.

Martin Riddle

It's called a Toyota pickup. Has the same capacity as a Humvee, and roughly the same amount of armour (i.e. nothing worth speaking of) but has better mileage, reliability and handling.

Reply to
Nobody

Don't buy in CA.

AIUI, the real problem with REITs is that they must pay something like

95% of their return in dividends. It cannot be reinvested, like a mutual fund. The only way for the fund to grow is to add investors. That may be good if you need income. Not so good for growth.
Reply to
krw

No one in their right mind would buy a Toyota pickup.

Reply to
krw

Why is that? Caution: Set-up ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hummer != HMMWV (HumVee)

AM General (nothing to do with GM) builds the military vehicle. When they came out with the H1 (civilian version), they sold the distribution rights and the name "Hummer" to GM. GM then produced two subsequent models (H2 and H3) that are in no way related to the HMMWV.

I don't think the H1 is sold to the public anymore. The H2 and H3 are junk.

Windows tip #248: add BUGS=OFF to your registry.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

They're crap. Good cars. Lousy pickups. Besides, the government owns GM now. ;-)

Reply to
krw

^^^^^^^^^^^

Uh huh. And how about all those poor slobs whose Tacoma pickup frames are so rotted out that they are beyond repair?

Reply to
JW

The buyer is Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery (based in Chengdu in Southwest China). The deal does not include the military vehicles (made by AM General), just the consumer stuff wot was sold to the failed automaker GM.

There's already a more military Hummer-like vehicle made by the big automaker Dong Feng (East Wind) in China. It sells for $80K US or so.

The engine is 6.5 litre V8 diesel, reportedly made under license from Cummins in China rather than a GM engine.

Hummer looks like a big gamble for them, but hanging onto US dollars is a big gamble too.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

and it would not have the same off-road capabilities as the Humvee. couldn't climb as steep a grade,and being narrower,more prone to rollover.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik