OT: Washing machine pump, rattle, doesn't drain

have to

I'd reduce the floor space for them and increase counter space, but I don't get the choice in my house either.

In case you hadn't noticed, this isn't Urup. The manufacturers have cut them to the bone, and beyond, evidently. Do a web search on various models.

It's a lot more than 30 lbs. That's not the point, though. It's an off-axis thrust on the bearings. The *do* have a serious problem with the American models, anyway.

There shouldn't be *ANY*. ...but I'll put in a split AC unit in the attic I'm finishing, if the rebates ever come back. ...likely will next year anyway.

Reply to
krw

Well, we ordered a Maytag 2000 series, just discontinued so we got a deal. I don't like the new roundish designs anyhow. At least it's a good brand although the fact that they already purged the model from their web site doesn't come across as very professional.

Their typical tub bearing prices seem to be around $20-30. I usually check that stuff before a purchase.

But that's the same on a car going across a bumpy road. Which in the currents state of affairs most roads are. Plus the slightest curve creates lots of off-axis load.

So why don't they just tear down a Miele, Siemens or Bauknecht and see how they dunnit? Those don't break down.

I agree that there shouldn't be. But if there is then at least they should get them prioritized right.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Whirlpool

That may be, but it's a $700 job to put them in.

There are inner and outer wheel bearings for that.

It has nothing to do with "how". It's how to do it *cheaply*. Thay got that down pat.

How about investing in that stuff (capital improvements) *instead* of fuel assistance? These toys end up subsidizing the rich.

Reply to
krw

Probably cheaper than a repairman! :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Remember when men put their women on a pedestal? There's no point any more, since all the women started wearing pants. >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

We

*PANG*

the

between

and

so

be

of

from

telling

--

going

revealed

14

hints

202705384#

I have a Frigidaire GLTF1040AS. Front loader, mechanical timer about 8 years old and runs like new. (About 1 load a week.)

Reply to
josephkk

Jim Thompson schrieb:

Hello,

the font loaders I used in the last 30 years never had problems with the extra seals needed for a front loader and they were good washers. What's the problem if a washing maschine uses less water and less energy if the laundry is clean?

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Joerg schrieb:

Hello,

a coins or other pieces of metal in the pump may cause such a noise.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Profligate waste of resources is the American way.

He might have had a point about the quality of seals on front loading washing machines as late as the early 1980's. I remember a friend had one with a door interlock to stop the motor, but it did not prevent it trying to fill with water with the door open. The result was not good.

Had one in Japan with early fuzzy logic. It would sometimes flip and spontaneously decide to only rinse the clothes which was insufficient even to get rid of the washing powder!

Japanese gadgets (at least the ones that escape into the wider world are great) but their consumer white goods like fridges and particularly washing machines left a lot to be desired. The latter were typically installed in a large drip tray to handle seal and pump failures.

Mechanical seals were basically solved for the nuclear submarine and NASA space program - between them they covered all the technologies. There really isn't any excuse for one leaking today.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

The amount you save in wear and tear on your clothes, and (in my case) on the water bill, dwarfs the cost of an occasional main bearing.

We bought an LG front-loader about five years ago--a smart one, that jiggles around and figures out how big a load you have and how wet it is to begin with, then puts the right amount of water in. It does an excellent job of cleaning the clothes, and the gravity-driven action is far gentler than an impeller.

It was $1500, but it's paid for itself about twice at this point.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The consumer group reviews I've seen say that they don't clean as well as top-loaders, when used with the latest Obama-imposed no-phosphates-style detergents. ...Jim Thompson

Whirlpool

Doesn't seem too onerous to me:

Of course, as Murphy has it the puller won't pull it off because it's all rusted in place :-)

Most definitely not on my Citroen (I repaired two).

Maytag? They'd have a reputation to lose. Some no-name or big box brand, ok, that would be different.

I'm

Fuel assistance? Those rebates are meant to entice less consumption of same. Which makes sense for a scietey even though I believe market forces should do that and not rebate checks or tax write-offs.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That is the main reason we opted for a front loader. Every time the top loader scuffed another shirt collar I'd eventually have to replace the shirt, and at Men's Wearhouse that's $50. Each.

HD had a smart LG for under $800 but I didn't know the brand real well so went for a Maytag.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

Thanks. Good to know that they do last :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, but the drum won't turn anymore and with the brake released makes a loud clunking noise when turned by hand. That means the transmission is really shot. A 14 year old machine is pretty much beyond repair at that point.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Maytag moved its factory to Mexico in December, 2004. Enjoy ;-) ...Jim Thompson

They hold up pretty well. The first Miele that needed the front seal replaced is my own. Probably due to putting too much laundry in it. It was easy and cheap to fix though and it only leaked a little bit during spinning with a lot of laundry.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

...and here I always figured that, since you spend most of your time working from home, you typical garb consisted of a few $8 t-shirts, or better still, free t-shirts advertising IC manufacturers or similar... :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Well, most of the time it does but I am married :-)

Then there's church where I am an usher, then the occasional representation of stuff in front of guys in expensive dark suits, and so on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

We have to accept the fact that nearly nothing like that is made in the US any longer. Even Volkswagens are made in Puebla now. If you look at appliances in Europe they are mostly made in former Eastern Block countries or Turkey.