OT: Washing machine pump, rattle, doesn't drain

Yeah, online is nice. I live out in the sticks and I spend money locally as much as I can. It would stink if the local buisness went away. I remeber seveal years ago telling the auto mechanic at the bottom of the hill he should be charging me more money. He never did..... now I have to drive further to get the car fixed,(or do it myself, but I've got too many 'half' broken 'off road' vehicles that need repair.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I ordered the .07" Allen wrenches as a joke, then needed them two days after they arrived. They are about 5/8" long and were packed between two layers of scotch tape. I bought ten of them, since they snap so easy.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

between

be.

Our Electrolux is extremely quiet, too. The 'fridge makes a *lot* more noise.

Reply to
krw

.

When buying my current car, the previous owner was apologizing for the manual windows and door locks. No, I love that I said, cheaper and I can roll down the windows without the key/ battery/ motor/ etc.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

A sock in the pump will do that.

Reply to
krw

But it won't make a machine gun noise :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

So *that's* where Bin Laden was hiding!

Reply to
krw

Yuck !! Now I don't what to think of that !!! ;-)

Reply to
hamilton

If it still agitates, its probably the fwd/reverse cam. Either something came loose or broke.

On my washer, the pump always spins. For agitate, it spins in the direction to pump water into the basin (which does nothing). For the drain direction, the pump turns in the direction to drain the basin.

If the pump were seized, the belt would slip in either direction.

6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

From the noises you reported, very probably yes. But it couldn't do any harm to pull it out from the wall, take the back panel off, and take a look.

Sorry.

Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I kinda figured the pedestrals were for older folks so that they don't have to bend over quite so far?

As for red... I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder there!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Perhaps :-) The ones I've seen have drawers for detergent, etc.

They actually look rather nice (my pick-em-up truck is very RED ;-)

My concern is how well do the seals required by the front-loading hold up over time. ...Jim Thompson

between

be.

I sleep like a rock. In the army even the whistle and a metal buckt thrown down the hallway didn't wake me up.

Anyhow, we just ordered a Maytag 2000-series, according to reviews whisper-quiet. Not that I'd really care but that's nice. Did it through the local Sears Hometown store. I could not believe how big that store is, didn't even know there was one. And then they had the freezer I ordered at Walmart for 30% less, but too late, it's already on the way :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's how it is on ours, too.

No belt, it's direct drive. Anyways, as of today the machine has a residual value of negative $10, the pickup fee we just paid for when the new one comes next week.

Then my wife will have the front load machine she always wanted back.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

We ordered sans pedestal. I think a washer on a pedestal looks tacky. If we can't bend down to do the laundry anymore some day in the (hopefully very) distant future we either move to assisted living or hire it out.

I wouldn't care one bit about the color or whether it matches the dryer. But I am married, so ...

I grew up with front loaders. Never ever saw one of those seal go bad. What dies sometimes is the drain pump, or it gets clogged. Often front loaders have a small lower panel that comes off and they place the pumps right behind that. So not major teardown and disconnect like with top loaders. Sort of an "outpatient treatment" :-)

Nice surprise: We'll get a $50 rebate via our electricity bill for buying an Energy Star rated front loader. Yay. One night of Sushi will be almost free now.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Don't know about a pedestal, but I wouldn't mind stacking them.

Ayup!

The problem with front loaders is the main bearing. They have a *horrible* track record. I thought I was getting around that problem with the Whirlpool Cabrio, agitatorless top-loader. Nope, they have serious problems too. I hope ours lasts another year or so, but I doubt it will.

Stealing from the neighbors, again... ;-)

Reply to
krw

Took the easy road, to the Sears Hometown store a couple miles from here, and ordered a new washer :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Not possible, we have hanging cabinets (fixed) and a window.

Can't say that. In Europe that's the only kind of washer there is and I've never had a bearing go out on me. The drain pump on occasion but that's an easy and fairly cheap repair. Then maybe a new belt every 10 years, not quite that easy but can be done in an hour, usually. I mean, what's that bearing have to hold in comparison to the front tires on your car? 30lbs of wet laundry, plus a little spin imbalance, plus maybe

40lbs for the drum? And the bearings I've seen where similar in size.

No, this is my first one in years, after getting a $25 or whatever rebate for a low-flow toilet that usually needs more water than the old one because of double and triple flushing :-)

Seriously, neither they nor the tax authorities seem to have the foggiest about real energy savings. The evap cooler I installed last year dropped the consumption for that purpose from a whopping 7kW to

0.4kW. Any rebate or tax advantage? Nope. Nada.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Just as a point of reference, back in the ballpark of 2000 I had a frontloader I had bought used (it was likely already 10 years old), and its front seal failed... although it did so gradually, so in the beginning there were only small puddles on the floor. :-)

Although come to think of it... it had begun to make a LOT of rack while it would spin up or slow down. That probably was the bearings, eh?

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Most likely the dampers, if the noise was more of the rumble kind. The essentially work like the shocks in a car.