OT: Washing machine pump, rattle, doesn't drain

No, they are great. We had them in Europe where those agitator washers went obsolete in the 50's. Yes, the wash cycle takes longer, uses less water and energy. But with shirts you see a major difference. After

20-30 washes you can't wear it to a fancy board meeting anymore. In Europe that never happened, the collars and all didn't wear off at all. You could essentially wear it until out of style (my wife needed to tell me when that was ...). A lot of things that would instantly tear up in a top loader can often safely cycle through a front loader. Meaning less hand washing.

Problem is, I know the brands from way back over there but not LG and all those that we have now. Like this one:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Call me modern, but I get my appliance repair information online and buy the parts online when there is time. Replaced the flaky ignition module in the 15-year-old high efficiency furnace and on spec bought a new hot surface ignitor, since the old one was nearing end of life- and it failed a few days ago so the spare was on the shelf. I could have bought a generic replacement for a bit less, but got the OEM York part so it just plugs in without splicing wires (and, more important, the life will likely be similar- 7 or 8 years per ignitor).

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

The way many of these work (shift from agitate to spin) is by reversing the direction of the motor. There's a ratchet or cam on the input shaft to the gearbox that causes the input shaft to push in or pull out due to the torque direction.

I had the screw holding this entire assembly work loose and insted of just pulling or pushing, the torque (in the spin direction) caused the cam/ratchet teeth to skip, making a hell of a noise. The fix was to tighten the screw that held the pulley/cam assembly onto the input shaft.

Of course, something could be busted.

Porsche 928: 0 to c in 2.125 years, 2.435 light-years per mile^3 of gas
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.
[snip]

A pair of panties for each day. Monday through Friday. No panties over the weekend. ;-)

At least they didn't say 'February'.

Free the Mallocs!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Set screws !@#$%^&*

A few weeks ago I went to unlock my pick-em-up truck with the remote.

Pulled on the handle, still locked.

Harumph, try the key, won't turn :-(

Go around to passenger side. It unlocks.

Crawl over hump (not much fun with an artificial hip joint that doesn't quite match the range of Mother Nature :).

Try driver's door from inside, won't open :-(

Drive home.

Shake the !@#$%^&* out of the truck... door makes clunking noise and opens from inside ;-)

Key still won't work :-(

Disassemble door trim.

Fricking set screw so small I can barely see it holds remote opener push-rod connection to lock mechanism.

I align everything, add Loctite, and tighten set screw until I dent push-rod ;-)

Works fine now ;-) ...Jim Thompson

My wife was 20 years old with a very small butt. ( no kids yet)

The neighbors wife has 4 kids, I won't describe it any further. :-{

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

They could have been his. ;-)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

At least you didn't need a .027" Allen Wrench. Some Motorola two way radio knob set screws are that small.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

This was one of those fricking star-pattern thingies (metric yet), probably the smallest available :-(

But I had the tool ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Don't touch it without going to YouTube! There is more & better info there than you can get anywhere other than experience! Old is not neccessarily a problem. My big crisis turned out to be pet hair clogging the pump... No parts required.

John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

Buy a Miele. It takes 3 screws and 3 bolts to open the front panel and you can reach 99% of the parts without having to move the washing machine at all. Its a nice example of design for serviceability. Yes I had to exchange some parts but it is already going strong for nearly

13 years with approx 3 to 4 'runs' per week.
nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

+$100 extra for color and $229 extra for the pedestal. Would you buy the pedestal or stack it on old telephone books or something?

LG (the erstwhile Lucky Goldstar) Korean chaebol has a pretty decent reputation. Check the reviews.. here's part of a review on a more expensive model (mentions vibration issues on upstairs wood floor):

"The lights, sound effects, dials, and buttons make me think I am playing a funky addictive Korean video game"

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Miele is one of the best. But in the US they can easily set you back $2k.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

We absolutely love our Miele dishwasher. $$$$$, but really nice features. ...Jim Thompson

Who in their right mind would want a pedestal, or a red washing machine?

My concern is all the electronics in there. I don't trust electronics in appliances, cars and entertainment gear.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You get the performance you pay for (IIRC, our top-of-the-line Miele dishwasher was just under $2K ;-) ...Jim Thompson

This one sure sounds busted. I was working on a circuit this morning and the washer is next door. Normal washer sounds, then when the drain cycle started an impressive bang was heard and it made the racket ever since. That bang was very loud, like a gun shot, something serious must have croaked in there. I was hoping it's just the pump that seized up and the motor overpowered and broke the connector link. But no such luck.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Unfortunately after I did Jim's test I found that it's no longer able to move the drum at all :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Ok, yeah, but our $400 Whirlpool dishwasher is still holding up after

(occasionally won't draw water) and some day I'll get around to that. Miele is great but I doubt it'll live 5x as long.

The best is a Bosch fridge in the basement. Brought it over from Germany and they told me the compressor wouldn't like 60Hz. Long story short it's from 1958 and not even a lightbulb in there has ever dared to burn out. That thing has (literally) saved our bacon when the chest freezer blew out last week.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I could sleep in the same room with the Miele running full tilt, and I'm a very light sleeper. ...Jim Thompson