OT: Very small garage, best fit

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Reminds me of the time I was in a hotel in Spain. On arrival, the car was parked by an attendant, and on checkout we found our way to the underground garage.

I couldn't see how to get into the car, it was in a row of cars with only a couple of inches gap either side.

The attendant arrived, reached down and pulled the car forward.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

And then we complain about 0402 SMT sizes :-)

Interesting that they had to sub-title it since the language he spoke is the same. Well, almost. When we traveled to the northern parts of the Netherlands people didn't understand us very well, or sometimes not at all.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

There are more suitable cars for his situation and there seem to still be a lot of them around:

They are quite zippy:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The part I like is that he has to position the car to start opening the door, but must pull the car back to open it enough to get out, then move the car forward again to close it. Now, that's tight!

--

Rick
Reply to

This has Bob Pease in it at 4:27 thereabouts...the 2014 stuff is bogus.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I thought Morocco was favored more by your kind.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Yes. The door must have been placed and constructed for that car

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Never been there, Robert. What's the attraction?

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman (Casablanca) :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You missed the best part - a different video :

check it out

jurb6006

Did you notice all the car paint on the house door? Mikek

amdx

the same. Well, almost. When we traveled to the northern parts of the Nethe rlands people didn't understand us very well, or sometimes not at all.

Dutch TV usually sub-titles Belgians (Flemings) speaking Dutch (Fleming). T he accent is different from regular Dutch, and when we first learned Dutch we needed the sub-titles. Phoneticians have maps of the Netherlands and Bel gium showing who uses which phoneme, with contours lines from 100% using on e phoneme to 100% using the other. The contour lines don't pay much attenti on to the political borders.

When you move into Germany the local dialect "Plattdeutsch" is close enough to Dutch that everybody can get by. Official German - Hochdeutsch - is a P russian invention, like "received pronunciation" (RP) in English, but inclu des bizarre grammatical rules as well as pronunciation.

Of course, one of the Dutch dialects has it's own bizarre grammatical rules , which torpedoed the attempt (in the early 1980s) to reduce natural langua ge to lambda calculus. Lambda calculus is still useful for modelling natura l language, but it is now known to be inadequate to represent some sentence s in some dialects.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

That reminds me of the time I parked with my driver's door almost touching a fence (to make room for a second car), and got out the passenger's side and locked it. Only problem was, this old car had two different locks, and I didn't have the passenger side key with me :)

I eventually managed to get the driver's window open and climbed in off the top of the fence.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Sure, but the interviewer clearly speaks Vlaams, the Belgian version. It seems to be an interview by a Belgian TV station. The accent of grandpa isn't nearly as bad as some of our guys in Zuid Limburg (Netherlands). I lived in the Netherlands but was in a Belgian sports club and that combination really messed up my accent. Last time I spoke it was in

2000. The guys immediately noticed that I was a foreigner but could not figure out from where.

"Everybody can get by" quickly falls apart when French-origin words such as "net" show up. A German would understand that as "not" because it sounds like it. But in reality it means "exactly as". That's where the understanding of the whole contexts often goes out the window.

Language cannot be calculated or engineered. That's what they tried with Esperanto which IMHO was nonsensical. Predictably it has fizzled.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I saw that too--hilarious! Well worth the watch.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

[...]

You'd have to go quite a way into Germany for that to be a problem. Nijmege n got a lot of cross-border shoppers from Germany every Saturday, they'd al l have been used to "net".

rules, which torpedoed the attempt (in the early 1980s) to reduce natural l anguage to lambda calculus. Lambda calculus is still useful for modelling n atural language, but it is now known to be inadequate to represent some sen tences in some dialects.

Esperanto which IMHO was nonsensical. Predictably it has fizzled.

Esperanto wasn't calculated or engineered. It was invented in 1887, rather before language science had got to that point.

Google Translate is proof positive that it can be calculated and engineered - Machine translation based on human insights into how language works neve r really got anywhere, but once they started data-mining vast volumes of te xt everything worked a lot better - not perfectly, but often pretty well.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

"He (Kenneth Williams) befriended gay playwright Joe Orton, who wrote the role of Inspector Truscott in Loot (1966) for him, and had holidays with Orton and his lover, Kenneth Halliwell, in Morocco."

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

All it took was 10 mins by bicycle. Most older folks from the border city of Aachen could somewhat understand the locals in Zuid Limburg during the usual pub conversations. But when you sat them in front of the news on Dutch TV and they wouldn't really be able to follow all of it.

People from Frankfurt ... not a chance.

Even back then people knew that language is something that grows and not something that can be foisted on people. Unless by force, like in colonies.

Well before 1887 smart people understood that immersion and a real live language is the way to go. It started in aristocratic households where they purposely hired a governess that could only speak the language that the kids were supposed to become fluent in. She was instructed to only use her native language inside the castle with the kids, even while she gradually learned the local language.

Immersion is how I learned English and also Dutch. But not in an aristocratic setting :-)

Then you've never seen a US electronics catalog in German :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

engineered - Machine translation based on human insights into how language works never really got anywhere, but once they started data-mining vast vol umes of text everything worked a lot better - not perfectly, but often pret ty well.

Obviously not. There aren't vast volumes of multi-lingual data on electroni c circuits, so machine translation isn't going to work well - too many elec tronic engineers work in English. When I wanted to write stuff in Dutch whe n I was working in Venlo, I got told off because they'd only have to transl ate it into English for all the foreign agents. It was cheaper for them if I wrote in English. My written Dutch was thus never well-practiced and is c onsequently vile - comprehensible but with at least one error per sentence.

Earlier, at Nijemegen University, the excuse was that the (numerous) Russia n graduate students couldn't read Dutch, but could all read English.

I've never had any trouble reading Dutch and German electronics catalogs, b ut I wouldn't read a US electronics catalog in anything but English. Spanis h might be difficult.

When I wanted to establish my competence in Dutch at one point - after I'd been there a decade and was perfectly fluent, if not all that correct - my Dutch comprehension for written and spoken Dutch was fine, and my spoken Du tch expression was adequate, but my written Dutch scored 499 against a pass mark of 500. Someone was trying to tell me something ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to