OT Tots

These are tater tots.

Do you guys in foreign lands eat these?

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

They're sold in Australia as potato gems.

They're usually loaded high with saturated fats, with just enough potato to stop the fat from melting into a puddle on the oven tray, and so much salt that you can't even tell you're eating balls of fat. So though they're very satisfying to eat, I haven't actually bought any for over a decade.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I didn't eat them when I lived in a foreign land, and still don't, despite trying them once a decade or so. Tater Tots somehow have the same off taste as Pringles, which I also don't eat.

Actual fried potatoes, or actual potato chips, are very tasty, of course.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Haven't seen those particularly, but there are lots of types of hash browns

Surprisingly pleasant, provided you don't attempt to fry them. To cook them fast I microwave them to get them up to temperature, then briefly heat each side in a dry frying pan to brown them off.

INGREDIENTS:Potato (79%), Sunflower Oil (9%), Potato Flakes, Onion (3%), Potato Starch, Pea Fibre, Salt, Dextrose, Onion Powder, White Pepper, Flavouring, Turmeric, Antioxidant:Ascorbic Acid.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Are they animal, mineral or vegetable?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Hard to tell. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Certainly do in the UK. Delish !

TTman

I've never seen or heard of them - look like small hash browns. Googling reveals that they are not readily available in the UK - perhaps TTman can reveal his source of supply.

I live in Scotland where we have fried potato scones in breakfasts, rather than hash browns. Fried potato scones bought as a part of a fried breakfast are usually horrible, a bit like fried cardboard but with a bigger fat load.

If you make your own they can be quite nice.

I don't think this is a very tradional recipe - but you'll get the idea.

MK

Reply to
Michael Kellett

If it helps in the UK we have Jelly Tots ...

Andy Bennet

Not yet, but with Brexit looming and the probability of a heavily imbalanced trade deal with the US, we'll have access to all sorts of junk food.

I can't wait for my first 2000 Calorie breakfast from IHOP.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Appearances can be deceiving. They taste like low grade cooking oil that's been used for too long--just like Pringles.

Actual hash browns (made with chilled shredded raw potatoes on a hot griddle) are wonderful.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Some tots are better than others. The Ore-Idas are good. The Safeway Select brand uses reject diesel oil.

Fritos Scoops are a basic engineering power supply. The ingredients are corn, corn oil, and salt. Of course, you have to use them to scoop up something.

I've been experimenting with a bunch (or suitable collective nouns) of bluejays, crows, ravens, squirrels, and one parrot. Their favorite snack is Classic Fritos, followed by tater tots.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Sounds good to me. My ancestors emigrated to the USA because there weren't enough potatoes in Ireland. Why they picked New Orleans is a mystery.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Don't know. They disappear before we can do analysis. Good with teriyaki burgers on baguette and a Harp. International cuisine.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Apparently shelled walnuts are the fave.

(Mark Rober is the guy who did the glitter bomb/fart spray/ camera boxes to punish porch pirates. Epic.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

If you treat us really good, we might allow you a few Dunkin Donuts shops. You'd never eat those fru-fru French pastries again.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

xcellent goods. They were the highlight of the trip! The Eiffel tower and

I recall they were having trouble with bombings and in many areas the trash cans were closed off so they could not be used as bomb containers.

That's what we should do with Dunkin Donuts.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Pretty sure they are proscribed for me these days. After affect of open-heart surgery in early May...

All the 'good' things are.

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Morrisons:- Potato Crunchies with Bacon

TTman

The potatoes might have emigrated to Idaho and PEI who boast over 100 varieties and is where McDonald's gets their fries made from.

How long did the US call them Freedom Fries? Pity when France and Canada were on the right side of history.

I'd deep fry them with bacon fat if my Thorasic Surgeon would let me.

Reply to
Anthony Stewart