OT: Today's HoneyDo Project

te:

is with ball dimensions of 24 x 24 x 18 inches of water saturated clay. At about 110 lbs per cubic foot

nsities-d_1727.html), this thing came in at between 500 and 600 Lbs, there is a slight taper to the cut so it's not a full 6 Ft^3. I had to hoist it a bout 250 ft to the planting location with an appliance dolly, dig a level h ole to relatively precise dimensions, wrestle it into the hole, level it, f lood it with 20 gals water, berm it, mulch it, admire it- about a two hour job- dunno why it always takes me so long.

he

15

total there was only about 1.5", but, if it all comes down at once, it caus es problems. A flat roof is anything less than 3 in 12 rise to run, they're non-trivial and require more than just slapping down a membrane.

se.

.

r. A

ng

?

idn't.

problem. Grace is the de facto leader in state of the art flashing products .

installed product. Sounds like you need to lap it 4-6" minimum.

ve.

, one

,

mel to

n the roof deck. Tell the whiz you want an internal open gutter installed a long the entire length of wall of the door, you'll need some kind of perfor ated metal grate covering the part where you step out the door. ( and this gutter needs slope -duh)

le

are

hing was not installed or both.

It's the 70-70-70 rule- lemme see, that means 70% RH, 70oF and 70% wood moi sture content, or more, simultaneously, equals a fantastic mold growth. Enj oy, mold farmer.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

What are you on these days, Grise?

If you're still breathing, you're not taking enough, lightweight.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

We don't live in the tropics!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

te:

ensis with ball dimensions of 24 x 24 x 18 inches of water saturated clay. At about 110 lbs per cubic foot

-densities-d_1727.html), this thing came in at between 500 and 600 Lbs, the re is a slight taper to the cut so it's not a full 6 Ft^3. I had to hoist i t about 250 ft to the planting location with an appliance dolly, dig a leve l hole to relatively precise dimensions, wrestle it into the hole, level it , flood it with 20 gals water, berm it, mulch it, admire it- about a two ho ur job- dunno why it always takes me so long.

x the

for 15

he total there was only about 1.5", but, if it all comes down at once, it c auses problems. A flat roof is anything less than 3 in 12 rise to run, they 're non-trivial and require more than just slapping down a membrane.

nto a

house.

of

too.

door. A

iding

rap?

t didn't.

he problem. Grace is the de facto leader in state of the art flashing produ cts.

ly installed product. Sounds like you need to lap it 4-6" minimum.

esive.

sel, one

ons,

Dremel to

w on the roof deck. Tell the whiz you want an internal open gutter installe d along the entire length of wall of the door, you'll need some kind of per forated metal grate covering the part where you step out the door. ( and th is gutter needs slope -duh)

ctile

ts are

lashing was not installed or both.

om.

or

moisture content, or more, simultaneously, equals a fantastic mold growth. Enjoy, mold farmer.

The problem is the enclosed (wet) spaces inside the structure easily meet t hese levels unless you have dry air circulating through it, Sherlock. Crawl spaces are another area that easily meets these requirements, usually from water vapor coming in from the ground (concrete is actually a sieve of mic rochannels).

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Mold is not generally a problem in San Francisco, and certainly not a problem in Truckee, where the RH is generally below 30%. Wet towels dry impressively fast up there, and you get really cold when you step out of the shower.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 09:21:31 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

Bloogstard.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

e:

te:

nadensis with ball dimensions of 24 x 24 x 18 inches of water saturated cla y. At about 110 lbs per cubic foot

this thing came in at between 500 and 600 Lbs, there is a slight taper to the cut so it's not a full 6 Ft^3. I had to hois t it about 250 ft to the planting location with an appliance dolly, dig a l evel hole to relatively precise dimensions, wrestle it into the hole, level it, flood it with 20 gals water, berm it, mulch it, admire it- about a two hour job- dunno why it always takes me so long.

fix the

ne for 15

d the total there was only about 1.5", but, if it all comes down at once, i t causes problems. A flat roof is anything less than 3 in 12 rise to run, t hey're non-trivial and require more than just slapping down a membrane.

n into a

rops

and

he house.

ost of

f, too.

ss door. A

sliding

h crap?

. It didn't.

s the problem. Grace is the de facto leader in state of the art flashing pr oducts.

df

asily installed product. Sounds like you need to lap it 4-6" minimum.

gie to

adhesive.

chisel, one

usions,

a Dremel to

low on the roof deck. Tell the whiz you want an internal open gutter insta lled along the entire length of wall of the door, you'll need some kind of perforated metal grate covering the part where you step out the door. ( and this gutter needs slope -duh)

ojectile

en

ducts are

)

n flashing was not installed or both.

n.

nd

from.

es or

h.

USB

o.

od moisture content, or more, simultaneously, equals a fantastic mold growt h. Enjoy, mold farmer.

t these levels unless you have dry air circulating through it, Sherlock. Cr awl spaces are another area that easily meets these requirements, usually f rom water vapor coming in from the ground (concrete is actually a sieve of microchannels).

SFDPH thinks it is a problem there.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The only mold that I ever see is on the sidewalk in front of our house. That's the north side, mostly shade, and it gets a little greenish in the winter if we have a lot of rain. I'm only really concerned about it being slippery, so I power wash it, maybe once or twice a year.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

e:

rote:

canadensis with ball dimensions of 24 x 24 x 18 inches of water saturated clay. At about 110 lbs per cubic foot

this thing came in at between 500 and 600 Lb s, there is a slight taper to the cut so it's not a full 6 Ft^3. I had to h oist it about 250 ft to the planting location with an appliance dolly, dig a level hole to relatively precise dimensions, wrestle it into the hole, le vel it, flood it with 20 gals water, berm it, mulch it, admire it- about a two hour job- dunno why it always takes me so long.

to fix the

s one for 15

eard the total there was only about 1.5", but, if it all comes down at once , it causes problems. A flat roof is anything less than 3 in 12 rise to run , they're non-trivial and require more than just slapping down a membrane.

down into a

t drops

ok and

f the house.

k most of

roof, too.

glass door. A

new sliding

such crap?

ame. It didn't.

at's the problem. Grace is the de facto leader in state of the art flashing products.

0.pdf

d easily installed product. Sounds like you need to lap it 4-6" minimum.

hingie to

on adhesive.

a chisel, one

xtrusions,

ith a Dremel to

too low on the roof deck. Tell the whiz you want an internal open gutter in stalled along the entire length of wall of the door, you'll need some kind of perforated metal grate covering the part where you step out the door. ( and this gutter needs slope -duh)

projectile

then

products are

nt.)

g."

pan flashing was not installed or both.

azon.

g and

ing from.

pipes or

ench.

eeds

ric USB

too.

wood moisture content, or more, simultaneously, equals a fantastic mold gr owth. Enjoy, mold farmer.

meet these levels unless you have dry air circulating through it, Sherlock. Crawl spaces are another area that easily meets these requirements, usuall y from water vapor coming in from the ground (concrete is actually a sieve of microchannels).

There are space age wood products that kill mold, bacteria and even termite s and other pests, but I don't think they're in older homes. So either you' re exaggerating the leak or wood does not rot in SF.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The house was built in 1992. That was after the 1989 earthquake, when codes were upgraded, so the foundation is massive and there's a lot of steel beams and plywood shearwalls in the structure.

The leaks only happen in violent winter storms, a few times a year, which gives things time to dry out. If I do see some mold when I get my borescope, I probably won't bother to remove it. If I can stop the leak, it will die out.

Our previous house was built in 1892, and was in good shape... except for the scary brick foundations. It's hard to bolt things down to bricks.

Now I suspect that some venty-type things in the chimney outlet may let water in when it rains hard. I'm going to cover them with copperclad FR4, a great building material. You could do siding and a roof from FR4... it would probably last a lot longer than wood and shingles.

You could build almost anything from FR4.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I suppose I could caulk under the flashing everywhere. I've tried most everything else.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

My solution was as simple as getting wider flashing and bending over the edge. ...Jim Thompson