OT: Those West Virginians and their guns

For his son's 11th birthday, a machinist built a 36" muzzle loader that shoots golf ball-sized projectiles.

Note the *Number 1 Dad* tag.

Reply to
JeffM

Golf balls? Oh pshaw. Real Men (TM) fire bowling balls.

Link is text and pics only; a quick search will turn up several videos. Impressive stuff!

Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

The article itself is so-so... The comments are priceless!

Reply to
PeterD

"The West Virginians being dirt farmers themselves, and a bit ornery, seceded from Virginia and joined the Union as their own state in

1863."

Actually "we" (I'm a West Virginia boy myself, and more than a "bit ornery") requested, from President Lincoln, that we be separated from Virginia, and the request was granted.

Not that there was much Virginia could do about it... the boundary is where the mountains get too rough for leftist weenies ;-)

...Jim Thompson

PeterD wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Makezine (MakeTV) has a construction article on air powered "t-shirt" or hotdog cannon.One could easily use a barrel that a golf ball fits into,perhaps with a T-paper sheet or 2 to get a good seal. It would be quite dangerous in a kid's hands..... B-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

&lowbandwidth=3D1

It may be interesting to see whether Virginia had any right to partition itself. Texas and California have the right to do so. But i suspect that no other state had or has such right. West Virginia may be a de facto chimera state.

Reply to
JosephKK

I'm having trouble deciding what definition of "chimera" you're trying to apply here??

...Jim Thompson

they've got biug golf balls in WV!

(seem to be a 4" bore black powder artillery piece, not an air powered spud gun)

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Of course: Amendment X

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

nt&lowbandwidth=3D1

After studying some i think i am beginning to see your issue.

Reply to
JosephKK

&lo...

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

What legal basis do Texas and California share?

Reply to
Richard Henry

&lo...

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

=A0But

In each case it is in the terms of statehood that had to be passed by congress, etc.,

Reply to
JosephKK