Re: Guns?

We wonder what Constitution those judges have been reading. Because

> the Constitution we've read clearly states under the Second Amendment, > "[T]he right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be > infringed." > Despite the Second Amendment's clear message, three justices > dissented.

Oh, come on... I'm a second amendment supporter, but it's definitely twisting things to leave out the bit about "the militia" and not conceding that it was poorly written -- regardless of how you'd like to interpret it. Wikipedia has lots to say about it:

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Read Jefferson's letters... the amendment was written to _ensure_ citizen defense against a tyrannical government... like we have now :-( ...Jim Thompson

Obama: A reincarnation of Nixon, narcissistically posing in
       politically-correct black-face, but with fewer scruples.

Take up arms!

Call for redress!

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

I sometimes wonder whether or not the second amendment was written in a slightly-less-than-crystal-clear manner specifically so that (1) each contributor could have something slightly different in mind (since Jefferson very clearly did mean what you say there) but (2) they could get the thing passed without having to fully flesh out such quibbles, just figuring they would leave it for future generations to fight over.

I do think it's a stretch to suggest that anyone there at the time was thinking the average citizen shouldn't be able to walk down the street with, e.g., a pistol on his person.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Wow. I love it when you get assertive. Where did you last use those lines? I thought I heard you at the Retirement Centre last night yelling the very same thing.

I must say the silhouettes on the windows were none too flattering. You emptied the purses of all those who wouldn't 'put out'.

The Law will be catching up to soon, deviant.

mike

Reply to
m II

When 'The Law' catches up to soon, what will it do with it?

Is it going to put soon in 'The Jail'?

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

"God created man but Sam Colt made them equal"

John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

If only that were still true.

Reply to
Pieyed Piper

=20

Jefferson=20

thing=20

they=20

with,=20

Except that guns didn't.

Reply to
JosephKK

One indicator of "what needs to be read between the lines" is the one thing that the Militia was really used for in the next several decades after the Bill of Rights was approved. Suppression of Slave Revolts.

(That and the fiasco of trying to annex Canada after the British were busy practicing war with Napoleon for a decade or more. When, by that time, militia training had regressed to an excuse for a political rally/beer bash).

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier