OT: These DVB -T tuner sticks continue to amaze me.

OT: These DVB -T tuner sticks continue to amaze me:

I tried dump1090 command line program. It immediately showed me a live list of all aircraft in the vicinity, their altitude, their GPS coordinates, their flight number, and their speed! All that on the little DVB table top antenna that came with the stick.

Like this: #dump1090 --interactive

Hex Flight Altitude Speed Lat Lon Track Messages Seen .

405a49 BAW821 38025 455 51.246 2.325 237 267 0 sec 3946e4 37000 467 51.723 2.348 42 57 27 sec 405b69 EZY79DG 37975 430 52.150 3.013 238 444 2 sec

Hey, something new :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You could turn that into a web-based airplane 'radar' page :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Tue, 22 Jan 2013 09:14:23 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

Yes. Or you could transmit: axa098zz battleship_galactica 1000000 300000 52.150 3.013 238

444 2 sec

No I wont do that.

But what would Schiphol air traffic control think :-)?

It would be really easy to equip a missile with this postage stamp size receiver, have it find 'flight number', and then go to IR detection when close. Wonder what they have been thinking when designing that system, I read it was considered cheaper than radar (as now the airlines have to pay for it?). And you would be virtually undetectable as you need to active radar.

But one starts thinking.

Wonder how long before EU parliament members read this and it becomes mandatory in every car ? Now your wife can see where you hang out anytime:-). Industry will love it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I wouldn't either, they say nasty things about cylon prison guards:)

On that page you linked, someone mentioned this program among others as being useable to plot that data on screen.

Quote: "You can do dump1090 --raw | nc -lp port, too. Then plug Planeplotter, adsbScope or VirtualRadar to it."

Reply to
asdf

On a sunny day (Tue, 22 Jan 2013 15:21:45 +0000 (UTC)) it happened asdf wrote in :

Very nice programs, pity those only run in MS windows.

I have contempleted writng something simple and display planes 3D in gnuplot... But way over my head in projects already...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hello, if you want to see what's flying over your head, there is

, web-based.

Ciao!

--
Muvideo altrove
Fabio Eboli nella vita reale...

On a sunny day (Thu, 24 Jan 2013 00:17:57 +0100) it happened Fabio_78 wrote in :

Amazing! Thanks :-) And now I can verify what I receive too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje