It's all gone purple - again.

Last year there was an update to the raspi camera driver that was needed to support the pi4.

Unfortunately it broke the v4l2 driver (bm2835 mmal) on the pi zero resulting in infra red light images changing from grey to purple.

A long and fruitless discussion with the guys at pi towers ended when they said that as I wasn't using raspistill or raspivid it was just tough.

I did find a workround that enabled a grey image that used "vcdbg set awb_mode 0". I inserted this in the file /etc/init.d/motion and I got back to greyscale images.

However I've just installed the latest rasbian (2020-05-27-raspios-buster-lite-armhf.img) and now the vcdbg command breaks the v4l driver completely. So I'm stuck once more with purple images.

I'm using the latest version of motion from the raspbian repository (4.1.1-1.1+b2)

Has any one here had this problem and found a solution? I really am losing the will to live trying to keep my "wildlife garden" cameras working.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

I know it's bad form to follow-up one's own post but help from another group has sorted this problem for me.

Thanks for looking.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse
that so many people are unable to understand what I write.
Reply to
nev young

Fantastic! But bad form to say you've solved the problem, but not saying how. If I may, what was the solution?

--

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to

In brief: install the latest version of motion direct from the development site

configure to use mmalcam instead of /dev/video0

mmalcam_name vc.ril.camera mmalcam_control_params --awb greyworld

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse
that so many people are unable to understand what I write.
Reply to
nev young

Cheers!

--