OT? Tales of induhviduals?

So, the boss comes into my office this morning, demanding to know the coefficient of thermal expansion of steel. Well, I don't know the coefficient of thermal expansion of steel off the top of my head, so I get him to back off long enough to let me look it up, and it turns out it's something like 6.8 ~ 8.6 ppm/deg F.

He says, "That's not gooe enough! I have to have the formula!"

I said, "That _is_ the formula. 8.6 parts per million per degree F. I can't make it any simpler than that, except maybe translate parts per million into thou and tenths, in which case it's not very many at all..." And he says, "So, if it's 17.5 inches at 70 degrees, how many inches is it at 55?"

I made him a little spreadsheet. I was tempted to make a chart, but all he asked for was a "formula".

It came out to somehting like 17.497" or something. They're obsessing over a hole diameter in a weldment that has no other tolerance closer than about 1/16". (about 1.3 mm).

Thanks, just wanted to rant for a mo.

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

:-) Just tell him it's the same as the tempco of concrete.

...one of the more spectacularly useful coincidences in nature, because it happens to make modern architecture possible :-).

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Sounds like Dilberts boss :-)

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull
Reply to

That thought passed through my mind too.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Not really. Dilbert's boss doesn't worry about differential expansion until it messes up the performance of the sensor that he is trying to get developed, and then won't go over to a construction that eliminates the problem, because he's paid a shit-load of development money for the half-baked construction that is really sensitive to differential expansion.

Sometimes I feel quite positive about being out of work.

---------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Have some fun, bring some more fuel to the discussion.

"steel" is not mere "iron" there are different *alloys* of the name steel and there are uncertainties in measuring e.t.c. With luck "management" can spend *weeks* arguing over "data", while "employees" take advantage ... ehh, in the best interests of compagny err on the safe side and wait for approval.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

A broad and useless average- modern large scale construction is made possible by brainpower, know-how, and attention to detail- not a whim of nature.

Fred Bloggs

Things get a little more complicated when you want to track the compressive forces of an interference fit of worst case slightly dissimilar materials over temperature extremes.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Don't forget tp throw in the glass transition temperature of the epoxy resin being used to fix the sliding fit components of the device - the I knew about the glass transition temperature of the epoxy resin used by the mechancis in my sensor was a kink in the calibration curve at

63C. The replacement that I found had a glass transition temperature of about 140C, which did accommodate a 20C to 85C temeprature range.

--------------------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

So, when I was still working for a electric utility company they hired a "electrical engineer" from Lithuania (spelling?) to be the superintendent of our 6 county division. He called me into the office and said a bedroom in his house had only a pullchain light in center of room. I would like to change this to a switch on the wall by the door. How do I wire this? I though he was pulling my leg so to speak. He was serious. His name was Geroge not Dilbert. After that I had fun. I could blind him with BS and he never caught on. W W

Reply to
Warren Weber

I've been caught out like that, expecting wiring protocols to be the same as my home country.

Lithuania has some beautiful women BTW

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

You work at the same place I do, what cube are you in!

Rich, Under the Affluence wrote:

Reply to
James Douglas

The only missing part is the pointy hair. As a matter of fact, dealing with him is a lot like dealing with a PBH[0] on PMS.

Is it a coincidence that "PHB" and "PBH" are so similar? ;-)

Thanks! Rich [0] PHB == 'pointy haired boss' PBH == 'psycho bitch from Hell' - I'm allowed to use this term, because I have a sister who is one. ;-P

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

I put up with an amazing amount of bullshit from this guy, but only because he puts up with an amazing amount of bullshit from me, and lets me leave my RV parked in his lot for no rent. ;-)

Thanks! Rich

[P.S.: How is "Reilly Phoull" supposed to be pronounced? I can come up with two guesses, and neither is very flattering...]
Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

It's one of the counterweight holders tucked up under this dish that you see as the background of the company website:

The tight spec is on the opening for the bearing that supports the whole dish and its counterweight, so I can see where they'd be a little bit ookie about precision and tempcos and stuff.

And it's been done wrong before, and they're trying to fix one. I saw one of the machinists just yesterday, out in the parking lot, with an ID micrometer and of all things, a pyrometer.

Trying to measure a 17.5" hole to within millionths of an inch.

Like Dilbert said, "I'm surrounded by idiots."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

Oh, not to worry on that account - it's a weldment, about 10' by 6' by

18" thick. (that's almost 3 meters by two meters by half a meter), made up of pieces of 1/2" (1.3 cm) thick steel in sort of a grid: Ah, hell - I drew up the exploded view, but I have to reboot to capture an image and post it...

What surprises me is that they're trying to hold an insanely tight tolerance on a weldment where otherwise the tightest tolerance is on the order of 1/16" (2 mm).

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

The Oubliette. ;-)