OT: Table Saw

OT: Table Saw...

Best fold-up table saw for a reasonable price?

Want to make good clean cuts on particle board, plywood and Melamine shelving. ...Jim Thompson

"fold up table saw"?

Sounds like you mean a saw that sits on a table?

That is a miter saw. They cost more but are far more versatile.

But there are cheap, non folding table saws...

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

They don't exist.

A track saw is a much better investment for this application. GOod ones aren't cheap, though.

Reply to
krw

Den mandag den 9. marts 2015 kl. 00.27.21 UTC+1 skrev Jim Thompson:

I think a track saw goes along way for a lot less money than a tablesaw worth anything, and for cutting sheets it is a lot more manageable than trying to wrestle a sheet around on a table saw

or just plan what you need and get the store to cut it, here all the big stores have a big wall mounted saw and do cuts for small fee per cut, or you just pay a slightly higher m^2 price and tell them what pieces you need

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

What is a track saw? Is that what Home Depot, et al, use to cut plywood up for you? ...Jim Thompson

Wrong. There are table-top "contractor" style "table saws". They are

*very* different from miter saws. Cost can go either way.

Good grief! You make a statement like you did above, then point to exactly what he's talking about.

Reply to
krw

Typical SED poster, not enough details such as project size and frequency o f use. Why not go down to the local rent - all place and see what they hav e? No need to store it between projects. It will also be well maintained.

Personally I have a Ridgid 10-inch saw with a 32 tooth carbide blade and ta ble extensions. Not a fold up model like you want. It occupies a good deal of space in my workshop. Set me back $700 back in the late 90's.

Don't buy a 'Sears Craftsman' 1-hp that develops 1.5-hp like I did. Took a ll day to assemble and motor died when testing it with some 2x4's. Had a h eck of a time getting them to honor their warranty. I told them I would put it out by the road for them to pick up and dispute the charges on my credi t card. They came and picked it up that day!

Reply to
mickgeyver

+1

Stores won't guarantee any accuracy or edge condition. They're OK for cutting sheets down to manageable sizes but not for finished cuts. Be careful of the squareness of the cuts, as well.

Reply to
krw

I did not see any "fold up" feature to that one.

Learn to read.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Den mandag den 9. marts 2015 kl. 00.59.52 UTC+1 skrev Jim Thompson:

this is a track saw:

what they have at the store are something like this:

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

It's a (circular) saw on a track. ;-)

This is the best one for your application but there are others. They also sell tracks that you can mount a circular saw on but I've found that they aren't nearly as accurate.

No, that's a "panel saw", sort of a track saw on steroids. You don't want to pay for one of them. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Miter saws don't "fold up", either, AlwaysWrong.

Learn! (I know - too much to expect)

Reply to
krw

Den mandag den 9. marts 2015 kl. 01.04.00 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz:

yeh, they never guarantee anything. But I'll say that they stuff I've had cut was as square as I can measure and within 0.5 mm in size

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The cuts should be square but sometimes the equipment is pretty beat up. As far as size accuracy goes, that's entirely up to who's running the saw and how he feels that day. I don't think I'd ever get cuts that accurate around here. 1/4", on a good day.

Reply to
krw

Yeah, and IF you really WERE able to read, you would have noted where I stated "sounds like you mean...", referring more to the "table" part of his query than the "fold up" part.

Fuck you, kiethkeithstain. You are a stain on humanity.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Buy a "respectable" portable saw (circular or otherwise) and a length of rigid steel to use as a straightedge against which the saw will ride. I.e., instead of running a board along an adjustable fence on a table saw, clamp the fence (straightedge) onto the board and then run the edge of the saw's "foot plate" (shoe) along it. Support the entire mess with is convenient on the jobsite.

Adjust the depth and bevel to suit the cut(s) you intend to make.

This lets you invest in a nicer saw (e.g., worm drive) and keeps everything small (i.e., the size of the saw itself!). Also lets you adapt the rig for larger items.

Reply to
Don Y

He could use a belt sander too to clean up the edges. That makes it second place to a jointer, but as clean as one's eye and hand with a belt sander and chalk line can get.

Make the saw cut right, and all you have to shave with the belt sander is the peaks of the kerf lines.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 7:55:05 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wr ote:

stores have a big wall mounted saw and do cuts for small fee per cut, or yo u just pay a slightly higher m^2 price and tell them what pieces you need

Lowe's sells this for $35

He needs to up his blade to fine tooth, use a square, measuring rule/tape, clamps, saw horses and possibly some sacrificial scrap base board. But if h e doesn't already have that stuff, he shouldn't undertake the project. The big box stores will never make a square cut.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Accuracy is the problem. Getting the distance from the blade to the edge of the shoe right is a PITA. Track saws zero this error. You can do the same thing by making a "shooting board". Much better than a straight edge but you still have to have a straight, straight edge.

There is no reason to have a worm drive saw, these days. They're heavy and offer no advantage 99% of the time. A shooting board does the same, better. A track saw is much better than either.

Reply to
krw

What a way to maintain a straight, square edge, DimBulb. NOT!

You really are a hack. ...a bad one, at that.

Reply to
krw