OT - Something actually worked!

I'm still having trouble believing it myself.... I re-formatted a Windows PC the other night and loaded XP-1 (the only disk I had with a valid code, and it was from another manuf.), and the damn thing actually worked! No problem whatsoever.

It even detected the after-market sound card (an Audigy-2LS), and loaded up the drivers. (Actually, it did that after I bit the bullet and did the online SP-2 upgrade - which I thought might be pushing my luck).

I don't know about you guys, but I can't even remember the last time I did something that invasive, where I did not have to sprinkle all the special herbs and spices, dance a kabuki, or do the three-finger salute until my knucles bled. Hell, I didn't even have to jump down, let alone pick a bale of cotton...

"Thanks" Microsoft. You FINALLY got something right.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

You probably just jinxed it.

Robert H.

Reply to
Robert

XP is formally discontinued as of April 30.

John

I've heard that one before. ;) Last I heard they (M$) was thinking about pushing that back, again.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Now, quick, try that with Vista.

Reply to
James Beck

You've never had to re-install Windows before? What desert island with no Internet connectivity have you been living on?

The typical Windows user should get pretty good at reinstalling after a few months.

I have one Windows system that I need to run some commercial s/w not supported elsewhere. My NEC CD requires a license key which, if one is not Internet connected (that system isn't) one must acquire over the phone from the NFPA fresh for each reinstall. When I called for a new key, their tech support person sounded pretty grim. I think they had budgeted, assuming that most people would need one key for the life of the product. Reality is that they are swamped with re-install requests.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Procrastinators: The leaders for tomorrow.

So? Who cares? I am still using software that has been discontinued in the late 80's, mainly because there ain't nothing that can replace it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Win2k-sp3 and XP-sp2 have always installed without a hitch for many years. I've built up over 50 machines with Win2k (pro & server) without issues. The main thing I don't like about XP is the amount of configuring to make it behave. I've had NT4 servers run for months without a reboot, even though the general concensus was NT4 needs to be rebooted every week. I've had a Linux based server catch a cold (virus), even though they say that Linux should be resistant to such attacks.

--
Mark
Reply to

Apparently a reprieve has been granted.

Robert H.

Reply to
Robert

On Apr 29, 12:45=EF=BF=BDpm, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:=

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply I've gotten off easy in the past. This was the first time the damn thing worked "right".

Yeah, I generally hate software like that. I have a chess program that wants to "see" the CD every few dozen games or so. Pretty hard to do on the tablet-PC. Do software engineers even have a pulse? I wonder sometimes.....??

When I called for a new

NFPA, as in National Fire Protection Agency?

Reply to
mpm

I am not sure that they can stop things. See:

There is a LOT of inertia in the corporate world.

Reply to
JosephKK

The last date i found at M$ is June 30 '08 for sales of the general line of XP, and elsewhere some versions out to 2010. Of course it will take some months for the "pipeline" to clear. Vista still is not quite ready yet. The processors have been 64-bit capable for a while, where are the MS 64-bit capable applications? Dual core has been common for a while, where are the SMP aware applications?

All of this is standard in the *nix world, has been for years.

Reply to
JosephKK