Re: Smallest system you've ever worked on?

I think the PDP11-on-a-chip was post 11/23 (late '70s or early '80s) and was called the T11 or Falcon. With my mind's eye, I can see the blue A4 manual (I may even have a copy somewhere!) I think it took a leaf from the 68000/68008 in that it could drive an 16/8 bit bus. Now if this had been done a lot earlier, and RT11 was offered at a cheap price on it, how much of the market would CPM86 and MSDOS have had?

Regards, Graham Reid

> Dejan Durdenic wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > My FIRST micro was Intersil's 6100 (PDP8-on-a-chip) - do anybody > remembers > > > it > > > and/or had any experience with it? > > > > > > > I remember it, never used it though. I used PDP8s though, and wonder how > > they integrated the paper tape reader into the 6100? Or the magnetic > > core memory? Or were they separate chips? > > > > There was also later a PDP11-on-a-chip, can't remember vwhat it was > called. > > > > Paul Burke > > That was the LSI-11 I think. Still have one sitting in the basement > > Rob > >
Reply to
Graham Reid

This was one of DEC's greatest lost opportunities. RT-11 was simple, fast and a joy to program under, like CPM and MS-DOS wanted to be, but never quite got to. By choosing a crippled version of RSX, then requiring you to use a DEC mini to write software, DEC managed exclude most of the young developers who were driving the PC revolution. I was at DEC then, and I think a lot of their bad decisions resulted from internal politics.

-- Jim McGinnis

Reply to
Jim McGinnis

A valid criticism. I've only gotten my mine to live for a few minutes.

--
Darin Johnson
    "Floyd here now!"

Not really sure which was first there, but there were some similarities between the devices.

At that time 32 bit and VAX was were everybody was supposed to be going to and dropping PDP-11's as quickly as possible.

Then again Ken Olson had at least a PDP-11/03 at home and still said "No one needs a home computer".

Ditto..

Like a lot of companies at the time inward not outward looking. I left DEC in '83 and went onto other things.

--
Paul Carpenter		| paul@pcserv.demon.co.uk
        Main Site

Ken also famously called UNIX "snake oil". I would think at least half of the DEC machines at the time he said it were running UNIX. DEC seemed to be about half a decade behind when it came to software.

--
Darin Johnson
    "You used to be big."

Digital PDP-11 was first. The resemblance of Motorola microprocessors and Digital minis is no accident: the original 6800 was as much of PDP-11 as the Motorola engineers could squeeze on silicon of that time.

Motorola was an active OEM user of Digital minis before they started their own microprocessor line.

The 68000 was a growth path from the 6800 root without looking at the common ancestor (PDP-11) or the cousin (VAXen).

Some of the more distant cousins include the Data General Nova / Eclipse line: it was created by some ex-Digital designers after their idea of PDP-11 was put on hold.

Having programmer/user experience of them all.

Tauno Voipio tauno voipio @ iki fi

Reply to
Tauno Voipio

Made one in the 70s using only sn7489's

Remove "HeadFromButt", before replying by email.

Reply to
maxfoo

maxfoo wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I was wondering just how much processing power would be needed to have a model mimic ALL the activities of a cockroach - including hard realtime requirement to avoid the rolled-up newspaper when the roach feels a breeze from its rapid descent. Oh, and wheels would be cheating - has to be able to run up walls and hang underneath decking ;)

What do you think? State machine and neural net in fpga? Or 3GHz processor? We can achieve a lot with tiny amounts of processing power in embedded systems, but we still have a long way to go before we can compete with the complex behaviour achieved by a couple of grams of bug mush.

Reply to
CodeSprite

(search on "cockroach")

Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire.
Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you
have an "impossible" engineering project that only someone like
Doc Brown can solve?  My resume is at http://www.guymacon.com/
Reply to
Guy Macon

I think you are missing the point. In those days, when we discovered a faulty dip chip, we placed it on the floor and executed it a la cockroach, with a ceremonial stomp. This prevented bean counters salvaging those valuable chips.

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Even trying to stretch my imagination to the limit, I can not see any resemblance between 6800 and PDP-11. The 6800 with two accumulators and one index register would be similar to Nova or (Honeywell DDP-316/516). Perhaps some DEC 18 bit machines (such as PDP-15) might have had a similar architecture, but I have not used these 18 bit processors.

The 68000 is somewhere between PDP-11 and VAX, but the similarities between 6800 and 68000 are surprisingly few.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

I'd have to agree. I've studied the instruction set and written assembly language for both, and I see almost no resmblance in philosophy, the general architecture or the layout of the instruction set.

The 68000 was more similar to the PDP-11 than the 6800 was, but the 68000 still differed in basic philosphy from the PDP-11.

The most obvious difference was the dedicated address/data registers in the 68K (which was more of an extension of the accumulator/index-register design in the 6800) verses the beautiful, orthogonal design of the PDP-11 where any register could be used for anything.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Of course, you
                                  at               UNDERSTAND about the PLAIDS

Wasn't it one of those that was the subject of "The Soul of a New Machine", the primal Silicon-Valley-burnout book?

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

TSoaNM was about the development of the Eclipse (a 32-bit virtual memory machine to compete with DEC's VAX line).

Silicon Valley?!?!? That's a bit insulting. Both DEC and DG were in Massachusetts. Ya know, those of us east of California have indoor plumbing and electricty and phones and TV and the internet and everything....

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  These PRESERVES
                                  at               should be FORCE-FED to

Ah, ok. Knew it was DG though ;).

Oops. I'm in the UK. You all look the same from here ;).

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Actually, it was their idea of a 16-bit computer that they literally stole from DIGITAL. The PDP-11 was conceived AFTER they departed. - RM

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Machine",

Not quite - there were the 16 bit Novas and Eclipses before the 32-bit virtual memory Eclipse the book tells about.

There are still on my bookshelf the manuals for the AOS/VS, the operating system for the 32-bit Eclipses.

Tauno Voipio tauno voipio @ iki fi

Reply to
Tauno Voipio

Right. The Nova was what was about to be the PDP-11, but it was held, as PDP-8's were still selling well, and that was not to be disturbed. The designers got frustrated, moved to neighboring town and started Data General.

Tauno Voipio tauno voipio @ iki fi

Reply to
Tauno Voipio

The AT9S1200 has 1kByte of codespace, this is only 512 words. The 1200 is very simular to the ATtiny11 but I think it no longer is in production. Or at least not recommended for new designs.

--
Stef            (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply)

Politics:  A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.
-- Ambrose Bierce
Reply to
Stef
[...]

An operation similar to what Bob Pease calls "widlarizing," though with perhaps a different motivation. See

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.