OT: SLR Cameras

They'll take an interest in pushing your horseshit complaint posts into the garbage bin.

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

=3D=3D

al

Prime makes a big difference. Zooms are not sharp at the edges, and there is more light fall off at the edges due to using more elements in a zoom. The current generation Canon DSLRs can correct for the light fall off to some degree, but nothing can makes a blurry photo sharp. The unsharp mask just plays a game with acutance.

The real drawback to prime is getting dirt on the sensor when you change lenses.

Reply to
miso

The big difference between brand-name and the aftermarket stuff is contrast. Most don't miss the difference here, either.

For snap-shot photography zooms are the best, sure. Macro-zooms are fun to play with, too.

Reply to
krw
[snip attributions &c.]

Instead of automatically deleting posts/threads, I have my killfile set up to insert an X- header into the message before my client(s) see it. This lets me check to see how good my filters are working. It also tells me each time someone makes naive changes to try to circumvent (naive) filters. E.g., mine automatically produces lists of "alter egos" for each of these folks so I don't have to waste time.

Putting the extra header in lets me see if I am wasting my time replying to a "marginally incorrect" post (when I can expect that the poster was only *lucky* enough to be marginally incorrect :> ).

Originally, I had the filter prepend a string to the subject line of the message (so I could see which messages to avoid in the "summary" pane without having to open them to view the special header). But, that forced me to remember to edit the subject line to remove that string before posting replies. I'm lazy. :> The inserted header is easy to extract when posting replies.

(In the future, I think I will make it flag the "Sender" instead -- and automatically unflag it in any replies I post)

So far, this has worked pretty good. After a few more months of alpha testing, I'll roll up a Tbird plugin so it will be easier for others to use. It should silence any folks you don't want to hear from ("If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it...")

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

innews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Is this idiot trying to claim that "prime" refers to a single lens?

Sorry, chump, but it does not. A single lens would have HUGE fringe distortion. It would be, at best, an optical doublet, which I have serious doubts that you even know what is.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Which would and does fail miserably each time my ISP gives me a new IP address, which they do often, and which I can force at ANY TIME I wish.

Reply to
AwlSome Auger

Well, it managed to find *this* one! :)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

You have serious reading skill problems. IF I wanted to, I could get a new IP address. THAT is what I wrote, dipshit. If you are too thick to grasp the meaning of that statement as it relates to your claim, then you already have your reward.

That of a total retard who is even more stupid than a slug.

Reply to
AwlSome Auger

A filter based on IP address is a "naive filter". I guess you didn't read my original post.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

innews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Only in the sense of a single compound achromatic unit with a *fixed* focal length and highly optimised with no compromises for zooming.

Net result is you end up swapping lenses a lot more and carrying round a bag full of them.

It is you that does not have the first clue.

Top prime lenses are mostly aspheric with one element of exotic dispersive glass these days. The first compound camera lenses with full correction for spherical aberration, coma and astigmatism were called anastigmats. The name used to appear on some lens designs in the distant past.

Prime has come to mean "not zoom" in modern usage.

These days computer optimised zooms at f5.6/f8 are not as far behind ordinary grade fixed focal length lenses as they used to be (provided that the zoom ratio is 3 or less). A handful of P&S have zooms of 10x.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Getting tired of those flat film plates and flash powder?

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ When I was in high school, I remember boys and girls slept together all the time. We called it algebra class. -- Jay Leno

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I've got a Model 150 Land camera, but the film is getting damned hard to find. That's the film that takes two seperate rolls, the film and the developer.

I'll just have to stick with my Zeis Ikon with 120 film (large format). It'll still beat the top of the line digital camera for resolution.

This isn't right.  This isn't even wrong. -- Wolfgang Pauli
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I have an old, dissected from an SX-70 pinch roller for their instant land cameras. I would use pin-hole boxes, the old camera body, and various other elements to make an exposure, and then do the squeeze in a dark room. Or, I would squeeze it by hand for the hallucinogenic effect.

Got some pretty surreal shots out of it. Nice experiment(s) to do while between jobs right after the Gulf War.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

:

m =3D=3D

s a

ence

less

focal

.

I have to assume Chairmanoftheboard and FatLadyBoy are one in the same. Clueless, but willing to give their worthless opinion on topics they know nothing about. Like I said, Canon provides the MTF charts. There is no question which lens technology is sharper The manufacturer doesn't hide this fact. They are quite aware of the trade offs.

Incidentally, with a DSLR you really need the Arctic Butterfly. Expensive, but very effective. Clean the sensor before going on a shoot, and periodically get the dirt off the mirror since it finds it's way to the sensor eventually. I wouldn't get a DSLR without built- in ultrasonic dust removal.

Reply to
miso

Which rules you out, Mr Nymbecile. :-)

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

"consumer level", sure.

There are imaging arrays with which you are obviously unfamiliar.

Also the processing capacity of the software is way better than the hand of a processor in a darkroom.

No.. dude. We ALL STILL know that film has a finer grain than does the current "pixel pitch" of even modern hi-res imaging chips. No need for a primer. :-)

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Not totally unfamiliar. They ae used in astronomy and some oter applications that, were I to tell you about, I would then have to kill you.

The Three Laws of Thermodynamics:
 1) You can't win.
 2) You can't break even.
 3) You can't quit the game.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

This, after the retarded dope just got done declaring otherwise.

Sorry, but the mil boys have the top honor in the visible spectrum.

And no, nothing you have ever seen would require you to kill anyone you told about it.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I laugh at your puny 'visible spectrum'. Quite a bit of interesting stuff goes on outside of that.

Of course not. We contract the killing out.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.