Wired, outdoor PC cameras?

I wanted to get some waterproof/outdoor cameras that plugged into the PC, or maybe something that connected straight to the PC.

But all I see for sale are cameras meant to clip to the monitor, not be screwed to the wall.

Or if they are meant for outside, they are either wifi or they are meant to go to some sort of separate video recorder.

Do they sell what I want?

I'm not worried about burglars or porch thieves, I just want to look at my yard when I'm inside. There is some wildlife that spend time there, but I have no window on that side of the room I spend a lot of time in, and even if there wwere I window, I'd have to stand up, leave my work at my desk, stand on the bed and look down at the yard. I want to be able to watch on the PC monitor instead. --- If I went outside, most of the animals would run away

I hoped to have 3 cameras**. A real bonus would be if I could do something like run all 3 into one hub and just run one wire through the window frame or wall. (Darn, I found what they call a waterproof enclosure for a 4-port hub, but it's showing just a regular $10 hub and a box without only one usb jack. By Sabrent but Amazon has no ratings and no Q&A. I'll keep looking, or make my own?)

It it possible to cut the the USB connector off of a cord, slide the wire through a hole, cut the wire to the desired length, and reattach a USB conector?

**One facing the front, one to the right of that, and one mounted a foot or two away, around the corner of the house, facing the side yard.
Reply to
micky

Run the cable through wall, you could cut the usb cable, near the plug, but leave enough to pick the wires to splice. If you're lucky, and the wires are uniquely colored, it would be just time to strip the ends of each wire, slip a small shrink tube over one of the ends, solder red to red (or whatever), slide the shrink tube over the splice and heat it. If your not lucky, you screwed the cable.

No idea about the hub.

Reply to
Big Al

USB 2, yes. Just 4 wires.

Most mildly remote cameras run on network, either wifi or ethernet. Possibly powered ethernet variety. A USB cable has to be very short.

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

Yes, that's a much better idea that what was floating in my head, buying a USB plug. Cutting the wire and then splicing it is much simpler and will look better.

I guess I can use a standard $10 hub and buy a plain box, and do all the assembly and testing in one room before attaching anything outside. Hmmm. Because the downspout is in the way, I was going to have to make a box for the camera to stand on. It can hold the waterproof box too. Two layers of waterproofity.

Reply to
micky

Many of these are wireless. Maybe one of the following would do for you?

Peter

Amazing how much they do with only 4 wires.

The bedroom/office is only 10 feet x 8 feet (from the front wall to the PC) plus 5 feet up from the desk to the ceiling, plus 2-4 feet for the camera leads. 25 to 27 feet. I first say what I've been calling amplifed cables at Monoprice. But I think they are called repeater cables.

50 feet for $21! (BTW, your English is great, you must be able to think in English, but does that mean that feet and miles are real things to you or do you have to convert them to meters?)

I think I already have a cable like this, just in case I needed one.

(Even though Baltimore suburbs are growing, wildlife seems to be increasing. There have been coyote sightings closer to downtown than I live, and a bear sighting only about 5 miles farther out of town. But mostly it's deer, and conceivably a fox. I should have done this 10 years ago, but it wasn't until people were posting pictures of the wildlife in their own yard that I got jealous. I'm 75, but if I really fix up this place with wildlife cameras, I'll never want to leave.

Reply to
micky

Perhaps a bit more 'spendy' than what you want - but with night vision, no wires, high resolution, pan/tilt/zoom. That it is expensive may be countered by the fact that it is flexible and you might just need 'one' of it.

There are multiple similar options.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

I'm in Crofton area, we get dear all the time. They eat our hostas all the time. I too think about a motion sensitive setup with night vision to catch them. Could be a rabit, but one hosta 70 feet away is about 3 ft tall, so kinda eliminates the rabbits. Al

Reply to
Big Al

First hit, I don't need the talk though.

Reply to
Big Al

Thanks.

The 4th one (5 cameras) and the 8th (3 cameras) are the same and the same price that Amazon has them. I was very excited about them. They have what is described as a 2-year battery, but one reviewer said that in the front of his house, with a lot of traffic he has to replace the batteries every month or two!! I have almost no human traffic and only occaional animals, and he said in his back yard, he had to replace the batteries once or twice a year.

I know myself. I will do this once or twice, and that will be the end. And that's assuming I can get to the camera with an 8 foot ladder.

(Well, in the back I could mount one just below the window. That would work well. So maybe I should buy oone at least. the prices are interesting. Amazon charges 50 for 1, 100 for 2, 150 for 3 (same price as bestbuy for 3), but then only charges 20 extra for the 4th and 5th, getting to the same price, 190 for 5**. But Amazon will include a Show

5 monitor for 10 dollars more (They sell alone for 35!) So I thought I'd have 2 extra cameras for when some broke, and I was all excited until I read about replacing the batteries.

-- Aha, Bestbuy has 3 cameras with the Show 5 for only 10 dollars more. I thought maybe they were dumping an old model, but I think it is the current model. I still think they are dumping them because a new model is coming out. I learned my lessen when I bought a PC Jr. I paid 1100 dolars but the list was 100 more, and very soon after I bought mine they came out with the PC XT, a real computer. (To save the 100, you had to have 20 or maybe 10 proofs of purchas from Kleenex or Kimberly Clark products. I had two or three, and as the week was coming to a close, so I could go shopping on the weekend, I went around the office after 5PM cutting out proofs of purchase from people's boxes of Kleenex. I didn't ask permission but I don't think anyone planned to buy a PCJr.

**They seemed to have been, or I jumped to the conclusion that was the Black Friday price, but it has lasted.)

That's when I started looking at solar powered, but they are more expensive, I didn't find many in black (to be unobtrusive on my brown house), and two of them would be on the north side of the house -- don't know how much sun they get. (A lot of the cameras are white, and I think there are a lot of white houses, but also a lot of people want the camera to be obtrusive, to scare burglars away. We don't get many burglars here and I have nothing to steal, and for other reasons, I'm not too worked about burglars.)

So then I searched more and posted here.

Reply to
micky

Posted too soon. They do have wired ones, in black even. (See the best one below****)

And by Ring, which surprises me because I looked at "similar products' on tha Amazon page, but all the similar products they had were wireless, which makes sense, but still surprises me since the same brand has wired. "Brand" is an element of similarity.

140 to 260 each. Much more expensive, considereing it doesn't have to have solar cells or wifi. Ah. It does have wifi. It's wired only because they have flood lights. No wifi floodlights exist yet. Of course floodlights will scare away the wildlife.

(Plus I did put a motion activated LED floodlight on the side of the house, and unfortunately it's on all night. I don't think there was any switch to set it otherwise, and it's 24 feet high. I'd better check with my neighbor who watches my yard from his balcony if my floodlight, installed 15 months ago, has scared away the deer. (I already asked him the light bothered him and he said he liked it.)

****BUT your page also has SVPRO Outdoor USB 1080p full HD waterproof night vision WIRED for $54!! In black. This might be perfect. Didn't find it on Amazon iirc using wired usb camera . But they have it:
Something to be said for a store that sells fewer things, easier to find what you want.

This one has a 5 meter cable, not enough, but only 3 meters short. If I use 3 cameras. I guess I can shorten the 5-meters to 1 meter.

"Android" scared me for a second ubut it's for Windows, Mac, Android and Linux. Does that mean it doesn't work with iPhones? There are a lot of things that work with iPhones but not Android. Someone said that was because iOS is standardized and Android is not.

I wish it weren't winter. I think I'm ready to go now, just have to rent or borrow a ladder. (And maybe lose some weight so I won't wobble too much on the ladder!)

Reply to
micky

[snip]

A camera using Ethernet would be ideal: it connects to your LAN so is available from any computer. A camera featuring Power over Ethernet (PoE) would allow use of a single cable. Ethernet allows a maximum cable length of 100 metres, so far better than any USB connection.

You can run Ethernet cables through walls - drill a 6mm hole to poke the cable through. Then fix a socket to the wall - each side - into which to terminate the cable, and test the finished connection. Use professionally made patch cables to connect from the outside socket to the camera, and from the inside socket to your router or network switch. That way when you break the barb off the RJ45 connector you simply replace the patch cable.

I aske a similar question here a while back and was recommended:

At the time they didn't offer a PoE camera - they might now.

Reply to
Graham J

Crofton is about 30 miles from me (right between DC and Annapolis for the rest of you.)

If you can get video of a 3-foot rabbit, you'll be famous.

SVPRO is 4 stars on only 53 ratings. with motions sensor, but no fwiw audio. and no visible spotlights like LaView has, but IR LEDs

Almost the same camera at about the smae price is called Ifwater 2, but only 4 ratings, only 2.5 stars. Unusually low, huh?

There is also LaView at four for $110. about half the price of the other two brands. Also wired. 4.3 stars on 948 ratings. Not convince this is better than SVPRO, because people's expectations are lower when the price is lower. (as in most cases they should be.) With audio, now I have to go back and look if the other has audio, even though the deer don't say much. Also has motion dectetor, which, optionally it appears, turns on spotlights at night. Spotlights will give colored night visiion, but will scare away the animals. Probably can be turned off.

I also have to think about motion detection. I guess "AI human detection" is that. But maybe I could ignore that for now.

Can't give actualy links because these are all on the other computer.

Can I assume the 50 dollar one is better than the 25 dollar one?

Also Noorio at $130, only in white, only wifi, but instant magnetic installation. Battery powered, not for me.

Also JVC KY-PZ510NBU with autotracking!!! Wired, Only $3799! No ratings.

Reply to
micky

I lived in Canada for a bit :-)

I can think in English, with some limitations, even dream in English some times. Easier if at the time I'm staying in Canada. I can not follow all the conversations on tv or movies, a percent I miss. I need the help of subtitles to help me with those. I have difficulties with video conferences, I need to get acquainted with each person accent.

Reading and writing are far easier. I read a lot in English, and that makes a big difference on any language.

No, feet and miles are not real to me :-p

one foot, one inch, that's ok. Multiples, no. Miles, even less. What miles, nautical, land, British, American?

Wild boars are the only things we see in the outskirts of some cities. Sometimes they get lost or scared and get further into town. There may be rabbits.

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

Yep, you are free to use the ones which normally go to some sort of video recorder direct to your PC if you want.

Yep but it is better not to and use a camera with a Cat5/6 feed instead.

Reply to
chop

And better to use proper surveillance cameras so it can ping you when movement happens in a marked section of the screen so you dont have to have a separate monitor for the cameras so you notice when wildlife shows up.

Reply to
chop

Yes, a POE wired camera.

This will give you a face, for the police department. You can't use low res, over a wide field, and give a policeman a 3x3 pixel face photo.

"Power

Power Source PoE 802.3af (15 W), PoE 802.3at (30 W) Power Consumption 8.6 W "

You might need an injector, to send power from the house, as not a lot of cheap home networking gear has POE as an option.

Since it is Ethernet, it goes as far as Ethernet goes.

That camera can dump to a NAS.

And it doesn't have to fill an 18TB drive with "pictures of brown grass", as it has motion detection and classification. It has 2GB of RAM inside, which is a hint what is hiding in there. A copy of Tetris. And it plays Tetris, while you sleep.

(HAL9000)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I only have a desktop and a laptop but still, that would be good.

But if I have 3 cameras, I will still need 3 cables?? But just one power injector??

I only need 7 or 8 meters. (Decided to put the cameras 8 feet high instead of 17 feet.)

So I was thinking that USB would be good enough, but then.... I had in mind 3 cameras with a hub in a waterproof box outside, and only one USB cable entering the house. Until I read that all three cameras have to share the same the same power that one USB port puts out. If my USB ports have 0.5 amps, that leaves only 0.16 amp for each camera. Would that be enough? Even close to enough?

Because if I don't have to, I don't want to spend more than $150 or 200, this is the leading POE camera

this is the leading USB camera

So the barb breaks off a lot! Because the cable gets so cold in the winter and hot in the summer?

This is nice, but I don't need the auto-tracking, or even tracking, or the siren or the SD card storage, or remote access, or even two-way audio. it's very quiet here and not much to see. Mostly I want to look at the yard and see if there are any animals. Zoom would be nice, and time lapse might be very nice, but this is really a security camera and I'm looking at animals that might not even show up.

Reply to
micky

One switch capable of PoE, which could be inside or outside. It needs a power input, though. Inside you could use it as well for other things.

You would need a powered hub.

Carlos E.R.

I forgot about powered hubs/ I see one that provides 5v/3A for up to 4 devices. I want 3 so that would be 1 amp for each. Obviously plenty since it's more than an normal usb port supplies.

Reply to
micky