OT: Sharing Violation

Software is often like wine, the older the better. Except I can't recall any version of Acrobat Reader that I found to be particularly good.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe that's where I've lucked out... I rarely use Reader, I mostly use Acrobat. ...Jim Thompson

Probably. But treating the free product much worse than the paid products can backfire. Because when it comes to decision time when buying, people like me will have been influenced and will not recommend that particular company's products. In this case that has already resulted in lost revenue.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I bought my first version of Acrobat way back in the early '90's. A Japanese client couldn't "speak" any form of graphics other than PDF, so I trotted over the Fry's and spent $440 :-( ...Jim Thompson

If you had to generate PDF you probably didn't have a choice. Just for reading purposes it would have been easier. I got some sort of reader with my CompuServe account back then.

Nowadays there isn't much reason to buy SW like that anymore.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

For generation, Acrobat still works best. ...Jim Thompson

Thanks; betcha tat now i have something to catch the little bugger, the file will not lock - which suits me fine.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Pray tell, where is the download link?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Am using Win2K SP5.

Reply to
Robert Baer

As far as the locked file is concerned, i concur with "not consistent or repeatable".

Reply to
Robert Baer

Anyone vote for Win95?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I like PDF-Creator. But nowadays it is rarely necessary because many modern software can output PDF directly.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

In them thar days I never touched Windows, not even with a 10ft pole. It was all strictly DOS. The first Windows I found somewhat acceptable in terms of a low enough amount of crashes was NT4.0.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You are not the only one. I generally use Acrobat reader in Linux and WinXP and Win7. The workplace provides me with AcrobatPro X in WinXP and now Win7. Nary a problem ususally. In some cases i have to, in order to access secured standards that i (as well as my employer) have purchased. The stuff i paid for i usually read in Linux. See "FileOpen" for the plugin for reading secured PDFs.

Why some others have so many problems with some software puzzles me.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Hmmm. Sounds to me like your problems are not coming from Acrobat itself but from all the alternatives you have tried.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

But it's "free" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Among major SW vendors Adobe is about the cheap "Night Train" grade and MS is similar. They both subscribe to "keep it cheap, and to hell with support" model.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

win95???? Are you nuts? That was a really bad abomination, nearly as bad as Vista. Win 98 is vastly superior.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Hmmmm? I thought Win98 was horrible. ...Jim Thompson

I am inclined to agree. It is only particularly badly configured Dozey systems with really dumb users that seem to be so afflicted.

I am no fan of Adobe bloatware but it isn't all that unstable unless you feed it malformed PDFs (something that the full Adobe content creation suite will generate all too readily!).

Many third party viewers are a lot more stable. I have never seen the fault the OP reported but I expect it comes from running a modern plugin on some antidiluvian version of IE that is out of the Ark.

Sysinternals (now MSKB) "OpenFiles" should do what he wants

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown