OT: Retinal imaging for voting

Its a non-partisan position here. If Republicans won't support the process, whose fault is that?

Sitting around and whining doesn't constitute 'support'.

Only through suffering comes wisdom. -- Zeus
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

yeah, we're doing that here in NZ on the 8th,

special paper too if needed, having people there who understand the system watching is the most imporant thing. if there's people from all sides watching there won't be irregularities.

these sorts of laws strike me as inherently bad.

colouring fingers is only needed in societies where the population does not already have identitiy papers, just check the names of a list send the lists in for (mechanical) review at the end. investigate any double-ups.

OTOH if purple fingers are made fashionable it may help voter turn out :)

what if someone prints 2000 ballot sheets and gets them marked up to look like real ones. I don't think anyone can sneak 10 extra sheets into the box while posting their own ballot, so the crook wouls need atleast

200 accomplicies to sneak those fakes past the observers.

let each candidate nominate some number of observers for each polling place. (2 or 3 at any one time may be enough)

I'm not sure that the volume of paper would justify that. but it does give 10 observers somwhere to ride, but probably only 2 or three are needed for that trip.

I'm not sure how counting is done here, but the ballots are not transferred long distances and the count is usually concluded by morning of the next day. there are sometimes one or two electorates that change hands in the following week when the postal votes are counted.

after counting, the ballots may need to be sent somewhere for archival but unless the count is contested a high level of security is probably not needed.

To me, voting by infernal contraption just seems unnatural.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts
[...]

Here in the US, one of the ways that elections are rigged is to remove the names of some of the opposing party from the voter lists. Doing so is a crime but the election is over by time the evidence is usually discovered. This means that if you succeed, the party that wanted the result is in charge.

The ones doing it usually seek some sort of cover. There are almost always cases where the drivers license says perhaps "Adam Baker Charles" but the voter list says "Adam B. Charles". The ones doing the purging claim that they are only removing non-existent peoples names from the list.

In many states of the US criminals lose the right to vote. If the person in the wrong party happens to have the same name as a known criminal, bang goes their name.

the

The problem is with the observers not the voters. They have the reason to hang around all day and wait for the guy from the other party to need to use the restroom. Preventing the custom ink from being available outside the voting booth will make it a lot hard for them because they would have to mark the ballots with the special pens and not something from a drug store.

Often, here in the US, "each" works out to be 2. This makes for too low of a number. Two would be from the party of the crook. One of the "good guys" would accept the bribe and one would need to take a break.

Buses are pre-existing They are nearly a stardardized item The observers never need to take their eyes off the box

Most states of the US have a thing called "ballot measures". These are issues voted on directly. This makes the ballot a lot longer. I still think that even if it takes a couple of days, the results are fast enough.

I think that high security should be the rule in all cases. It only needs to be maintained for less than the time until the next election so the same vault can serve for each election.

Do you use electronic banking?

Reply to
MooseFET